View Poll Results: Should I Get Her?
Yes 16 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Should I Get Her?

A woman on my Freecycle group is offering her rabbit with the cage. This is what she's sent me:

"She has ears that stick up. She poops alot.
Though I have her trained to go in the cage. Only every once in a while, I'll find a few pellets out side her cage. her cage does need to be cleaned underneath if not everyday, than every other day. She does chew alot (carpet mainly) She needs to be offered other alternatives to chew. (be careful of electric cords, she's been very lucky as she's chewed through a few I didn't realize she could get to. It takes time and alot of time and patience to train her but its worth the rewards. I would recomend, if you've never had a rabbit, to do a bunch of research of them. They do take alot of care."

You all (most of you) know my situation, I have been looking into getting one for a while... if you were me would you get this rabbit? Do you think it will be a huge ordeal to "train" her? Also, are there any questions I should ask first?

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 12:33 PM

Does she have pics? How old is the rabbit? Has it been around kids?(I am sure you have already asked that one LOL)

Yes I think you should go get her for Ry.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 12:41 PM
Miss New Booty

Aww I voted yes! I hope you get her Christi! You have been looking for quite awhile. Very good questions that Marie suggested! Keep us posted, girl!

~* Jackie *~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

I replied and asked how old she was and if she'd been spayed. I did tell her I had a toddler so that must not be an issue.

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 12:56 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I voted yes. She sounds like a normal rabbit to me, and all the things she mentioned are normal rabbit behaviors. They do take a lot of time and care (lots of cleaning) but if you are willing to do that for any rabbit, I'm sure it would be wonderful for you to give a loving home to this one.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 02:20 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

YES!!! They are all normal rabbit behaviours!!!! The best way to train them to not eat carpet and chew cords (if you can't get them in a cord free room to run around) is to stomp at them when they do it...it's their language, they know that you are mad! If they persist, spray them with a water bottle. If she still persists, put her in the cage and end run time. Shadow was obsessed with getting into our storage room, she could open and re-close the doors. Every time she went in there she'd get chased out, and then if she went back in there a second time she'd get put back in her cage. She did for one month and now she doesn't go in there anymore. You can train rabbits, you can train them to sit and to come when called and to stand up on their back legs. They take longer than a dog but they are all trainable!
And you can get a hard plastic tubing to protect any cords you'll be worried about too!!!
Ok I'll shutup cause I'm excited!! I thought you had gone off the rabbit idea with all the turtle and fish talk so I'm excited you still want a rabbit!!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 03:49 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I voted yes on a simple note, she sounds like a normal bunny to me and I think it would be wonderful for Ry

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 05:16 PM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

You've done your research, and you already were a wonderful Chinnie Mom, are a good Mom, and you will be an excellent bunny Mom too.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSbunny
Ok I'll shutup cause I'm excited!! I thought you had gone off the rabbit idea with all the turtle and fish talk so I'm excited you still want a rabbit!!!
Oh no, that's in addition. She hasn't emailed me back yet - but I am concerned about being allergic. I don't really know because everywhere I've been to look at rabbits, they've had cats and I AM allergic to cats...

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 06:56 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

In my experiences not too many people are allergic to rabbits...some are yes, but it was probably the cats that were making your allergies play up.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Here's her reply:

"I'm not really sure how old she is. We found her almost 2 years ago in our front lawn. I think she's been spayed. Not 100% sure. The vet said it was hard to tell on females. She also said she wasn't definitely sure she was a girl. She behaves like a girl from my opinion. (to say the least, I didn't go back to that vet). I am assuming she is somewhere between 2 1/2 to 3 years old. She's very active. She does jumps and kicks. She would play chase with my son who at the time was close to two. She was very gentle with him. When we first brought her in, she would nip at our ankles, but not any more."

I am going to call her and see about going over to meet the rabbit this week.

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 07:32 PM
Miss New Booty

Ohh how exciting, Christi!!! Keep us posted!

~* Jackie *~

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 07:32 PM
Adolescent Pup

I voted yes! It sounds like a normal rabbit to me! But if you are still uneasy, maybe you could go visit the rabbit. That way you can ask the owner questions and maybe find out if you are alergic to bunnies!

Shelly

Howdy From Us All!

NEVERLetGo

MROOF!!! I'm a Llama!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 07:35 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

sounds good!! To check if she's a boy or girl, flip her on her back (support those back legs) and press just above the genital area. Both sexes 'pop out' but a girl will have a slit and a boy will have a circle, at that age it will defienently be obvious!!!! Hmmm the spey thing seems weird....I'd say maybe she's not? I'm not sure how you could find out without opening her up But if she plays with kids that sounds great for Ry!!!

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 09:24 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I hope it works out!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!