Should I get my rabbits a fecal test regularly? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Should I get my rabbits a fecal test regularly?

Iím planning on having one of my rabbits spayed in January and I plan on having her blood tested first. I also have another rabbit that is already spayed, but I plan on getting her blood tested also. Just as a checkup; they both seem very healthy. But they are both getting a little older so I thought Iíd just take them both in for an exam. And I was just wondering if I should get them both a fecal test while Iím at it, or is that something thatís really only done when you suspect they are sick?

Rabbits;

Tallulah:
Breed: Mini Rex.
Sex: Unspayed female.

Toby:
Breed: Holland lop mix.
Se: Spayed Female.

Thanks for any advice!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 09:22 AM
Betta Bomb

Hm, I never heard of it to be honest. I (personally) wouldn't get a random blood sample because the bunnies veins are so tiny that I'd be scared nothing significant would be found after getting the poke.
Bunnies can hide illness pretty well, yes, but you might notice symptoms in their behaviour first. Lethargy, loss of apetite, tooth grinding, mushy poop, not eating cecals, fur loss, watery eyes or nose, itching.. etc..
If your vet does perform blood work for healthy bunnies then by all means if it calms your worries. 6 years old is only the beginning of "seniority" and she could go for another 6 years!
Good luck
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Kudos for taking your rabbits in to the vet for checkups, it's something not a ton of rabbit owners do. Even if your rabbits are perfectly healthy, it's a good thing to get them in to see your vet once a year or so, the same as if you had a dog or cat. That way your vet will know them better and know more of what's normal for your pet, and hopefully be able to better pick out when something is wrong.

I've never heard of anything saying that taking blood from a rabbit is any different than taking it from any other animal. Running blood work in rabbits is often times a very important diagnostic tool. Getting blood drawn once in awhile even when your rabbit is healthy can be a good thing because it allows you and your vet to set a standard for what's normal for your rabbit. That way, if he/she does become sick in the future, blood samples can be compared to the sample results that where taken while the animal was healthy, which can make it easier for vets to pick out any abnormalities.

My rabbit vet recommends blood testing to be done yearly as part of the annual physical, especially in older rabbits as blood work done yearly can track the condition of their internal organs. In the best case senerio, it helps set a base line for what is normal for your pet. Worst case, blood tests can be used to detect a number of different medical problems sometimes even before the rabbit has started to show any signs of being sick. I also always have blood tests done before any surgeries as well, just for my peace of mind.

I personally also have my vet do fecal exams once a year as well. If your rabbits are indoors only, and don't have any access to other house hold pets, you may be able to get away with testing less often. My rabbits are indoors but love to spend time with my dog, and I worry that he could potentially pass on parasites to them so I'm overly cautious and just opt for the testing. Parasites kind of creep me out haha, so I usually want to check for them just to be sure.

Talk to your vet about what they recommend though. A good rabbit savvy vet who has lots of experience working with rabbits will be able to tell you what tests and such they feel are important to do on a regular bases.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 12:45 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Regular testing is very good move for responsible owners, friend's aunt do the testing for her dachshund (9years old) and rabbit(7years age) every 6 months.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!

Tags
fecal test