Should i be worried about my rabbit? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Should i be worried about my rabbit?

My rabbit is 7 months old, she is gorgeous and very friendly and playful when she's out of her hutch but if you try to pick her up from her hutch she scratches, bites, kicks and growls. The only way to get her out without a fight is to hold out your arms and invite her out. This means she rarely wants to hop out. She is getting more trusting and happy to hop out but still has a tantrum if you touch her things or her...some people have said she needs to be neutered, and other say she may be bored, or need a larger hutch. Does anyone have any ideas, or a similar problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 06:54 PM

Some rabbits just dont like to be held, mine is one of them. He was neutered and he still doesnt like it! I know that you are going to have to work with your rabbit a lot to be more social. It takes a lot of time for a rabbit to trust you. I would start with petting her first and then move to holding her when you are sitting on the ground.

Also I posted a similar question and these are the responses I got:
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showt...ghlight=picked

Also check these out:
http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-11/lift.html
http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/handling.html
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 08:24 PM

Neutering/spaying might help, but some bunnies just don't like to be held. My Caesar was one of them. He was the sweetest thing when he wasn't being held. Just try petting first, don't force yourself on your bunny, try calling her to you with a treat or a special toy and pet her for only a few seconds, and gradually get longer from there. This will take time, but it's all worth it in the end. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 10:26 PM

I agree with the advice mentioned already, though I do have a tip to add.

Whenever transporting your bunny from or to the hutch, move her backwards, so she can't see where she's going. This will prevent MUCH (but most likely not ALL) of the kicking and scratching.

As far as spaying, it's a risky procedure. Not a lot of vets are as comfortable spaying rabbits as they are neutering. So, you may not want to risk it. However, on the opposite side of the spectrum, I've heard of many house rabbits who have gotten cancer in one or more of their reproductive organs because they were never spayed, and never bred.

Maybe talk to a vet. You should have your rabbit checked up regularly (and if you haven't had her checked yet, then you should consider taking her soon), and most vets around here can offer some advice on behavioural conditioning as well.

Good luck!

Last edited by velvetrabbit; 11-16-2004 at 10:29 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

Hi everyone, thanks for your posts. I have to go to school now but i will be coming back to the forum later to read your ideas in more detail.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 05:21 PM

Red face

I would also suggest neutering, my 2 female bunnies,(which are sisters) when they were the same age as yours, started to fight a lot, the vet suggested neutering them, which I did. It is also healthier for them, because a female bunny that does not have babies, is at a high risk of getting cancer of the reproductive organs.. I think it is also a nicer thing for them to have it done, as it calms down their hormones, and makes them a far friendlier pet..
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Question

Hi purplebunny, thanks for your comment. I agree it would be good to neuter my rabbit, however at my local vet they charge over £60. My bunny is worth everything but i don't even have £5! Do you think it is cruel to keep her waiting to be neutered?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 06:04 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z00keepa
Hi purplebunny, thanks for your comment. I agree it would be good to neuter my rabbit, however at my local vet they charge over £60. My bunny is worth everything but i don't even have £5! Do you think it is cruel to keep her waiting to be neutered?
Hi, I think you should get it done ASAP, can you pay by instalments at your vets, of try the PDSA, and give them an donation..
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 06:33 PM

Can't you get your parents to pay for it?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

I will ask them about it.....my parents say it's too expensive if it doesn't need doing but perhaps i could do that instead of a xmas present? seems a bit mad! :s
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 01:09 PM

Or you could save up the money. Do chores and extra things around your house to earn money. Whatever you do, make sure you get a vet that has done spays and neuters in rabbits before.

Tags
house rabbit, house rabbits