Shy? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Unhappy Shy?

Over the past few weeks, Charlie has become really hand shy. I've talked to her softly and tried getting her to come to me with a treat, but she runs away as soon as she sees and smells me. I don't know what I did to make her be afraid of me...It's the same way when my dad goes to pet her. She only comes out for my mom. I don't know what could be wrong, she seems healthy enough and loves my mom. Caesar is the same little cuddle bug as always, he'll eat his veggies and be petted and he loves it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 05:58 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

That seems odd...were there any kind of changes recently? Changes in diet, enviroment, etc?

I can't really think of anything on the spot but I'll do research and try to help.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Thanks Steph! The only thing that changes was my mom going away for a week and the weather. Last year the weather was almost the same and both took it fine. The only thing it could be then is my mom leaving for a week, but why would she be mad at me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Anyone?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 07:13 AM
Part of the Pack

Hmm..Im a first time bunny owner so I dont know. I say just keep trying Im sure he'll come around!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Well, I figured out that Charlie comes when she's called. My mom told me that you need to tap the treat or carrot or food on the cage bottom and then call her name. And it works! She still doesn't like to be pet, but I think I can get her to warm up to me.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 03:04 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millimi

Well, I figured out that Charlie comes when she's called. My mom told me that you need to tap the treat or carrot or food on the cage bottom and then call her name. And it works! She still doesn't like to be pet, but I think I can get her to warm up to me.
I'm glad she's warming up to you! Sorry I didn't post any advice earlier Natalie. I have only had indoor rabbits so I don't know much about socializing outdoor ones. Mine see me and hear my voice constantly so they know who "mommy" is and they know "daddy" too. When we have people over, I do notice that they act shy and a little nervous. They can definitely tell when someone new is around. Try getting Charlie more used to your voice and smell, and win her over with some treats. Treats never fail lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Misses Her Smilie Titles

The strange part is that she knows me. She knows my voice from my mom's and dad's. They know their names too. She always snatches the treats out of my hand, and if I hold on to it, she creeps away. They're not as socialized as your indoor bunnies, but they still know who we are, and over the summer, when they are in their play area, I would spend hours with them sitting and playing with them. I bought some yoghurt drops to win Charlie over. I hope it works.