Sick bunny (posting for a friend) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Sick bunny (posting for a friend)

Hi all,

It's been a very long time since I have posted anything in this forum, but when I did have a bunny, Oliver (I fostered him for a year and he was adopted by someone who had a female bunny whose made passed away), you all were so, so helpful, so when my friend told me that her bunny was ill, I told her that I would post to this list to see if you all had any suggestions.

Here are the details - I'll post a picture too: Her bunny, Buff, is an 8 year old female. Kat, my friend, has had her for a few years and she has always been pretty active and happy. She lives alone, Buff, in Kat's screen printing shop, but because the shop is pretty active she gets lots of attention from Kat and her employees. Mid-week last week she seemed to stop pooping and running around - I think Kat told me that she noticed right away, and so they tried hand feeding her and making sure that hay was nearby, but Buff still wouldn't eat.

About six weeks ago they began using kitty litter mixed in with her hay - they did not realize that it shouldn't be used. It has been my theory that this was and probably is the problem - when I suggested this, they immediately stopped using the cat litter and have switched to only using hay.

Kat took her to the vet on Friday I believe and the vet said that they could feel a mass and believed that she was "backed up," or compacted. They gave her subcutaneous fluids, and Kat has taken her back twice more for fluids, though last night when I was with her, and Kat noticed this too, if you bring her a bowl of water and hold it for her, she will drink. She also hasn't completely stopped eating. She will eat lettuce and apples as a treat, and we've put her hay very near her, too.

So, here's my question - if she is compacted and is having trouble pooping due to complications from the cat litter, are there certain foods that they should feed her more of, and conversely are there foods they should be avoiding? Buff is pretty old, so I think my friend is interested in doing all that she can short of surgery, simply because of her age.

Also, any advice you can give would be much appreciated. Buff is a very sweet bunny and has never really been ill, so I think it is probably a result of the cat litter and I'm so hoping that can be reversed or that some of you might have experience with this.

Thanks so much for your help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Roy, Oliver and Doris.

Last edited by bunz; 11-05-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 09:50 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Pureed pumpkin has always been a really good, old-time remedy for compaction. If you can get it pure in the can, you could feed her that. Or if you can't find it, squash baby food should work, too.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks very much for your reply!

My friend did go out and get the things that you recommended, and I should get to see she and the bunny today, so my fingers are crossed!

Thanks so much!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Roy, Oliver and Doris.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 01:38 PM
Herp Nerd

Not to be obnoxious, but I think the word you're looking for is impacted, not compacted.

Still drinking is good. The pumpkin should do the trick, some nice fibrous leafy greens should work too... but if it doesn't, the vet should be able to give you something to help with intestinal motility and keep her fluids up.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.

Tags
cat litter, sick, suggestions