Sick Honey - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Sick Honey

My new lop Honey is sick. He has been sneezing on and off since I got him, and I sometimes found goo at the corners of his eyes, but seemed otherwise healthy. About 2 1/2 weeks ago I noticed snott on his nose, and he sounded congested, although he has no problem with his appetite. He was on Baytril for two weeks, but it did no good. I have been keeping him inside, since I don't think he can handle the weather changes. He will have to spend the winter in my bedroom in a large dog cage, which he doesn't seem happy about. One of our dogs likes to stand outside the bedroom door and cry, trying to get in. It is going to be a long winter.

Honey went to the vet yesterday, and she switched his meds to Sulfamethoxazole-Trimethoprim (crushed horse pills). I desolve the powder by mixing it with Rabbit Nutri-Drops, a supplement to help boost his immune system. I am using VetRx Rabbit Remedy to help relieve his conjestion, and sprinkle a probiotic, Bene-Bac on his vegies, because of all the antibiotics he has been taking. I guess if this doesn't work, he must have allergies. I can't wait for him to get better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Aww, poor guy. I hope he gets better quickly! Good luck!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 09:14 PM
Rodentologist

Has a culture been done to determine if there's a bacterial infection?

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

It could just be allergies - my Teddy has them. I can tell his normal sneezing from the sneezing when he is congested. I noticed his sneezing sounded different a while ago and later that same week I was sitting in his room when he sneezed out a great big white snot! I took him in to the vet the next morning and I am glad I did. He had sinusitis. He was on baytril that cleared up the infection and now when I hear that strange sneeze or see snot on his nose (which is hard to catch because he cleans it off well) I give him a dose of baby benedryl. He loves the stuff! I hope you can figure out what is going on with Honey - and I am sure he won't mind staying in your room for the winter. He will have more time with you!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennicat View Post
Has a culture been done to determine if there's a bacterial infection?
I asked the vet about a culture, but she felt that the new meds would clear it up and he wouldn't need one. So far the new meds hasn't cleared it up, but he has just been on them two days. He rarely has snott on his nose, and there is no discharge from his eyes or nose that I can see. How much discharge does there have to be before a vet can take a culture?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathydip View Post
I hope you can figure out what is going on with Honey - and I am sure he won't mind staying in your room for the winter. He will have more time with you!
Right now Honey is so angry with me he wants nothing to do with me. I hope his attitude changes soon.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 08:32 AM
Rodentologist

If he's actively got a bacterial infection, a culture should grow something as long as you can swab the nasal area. You don't necessarily have to have big goops of discharge, the regular mucous that he'd have in his nose should culture bacteria if there is any there. It should also be able to identify what antibiotics are effective against that particular bacteria.

In general, we try to rule out everything else before allergies, because allergies in small animals are relatively uncommon (and typically present with skin rashes/itchiness -- they tend to be ingestion allergies) and respiratory infections and pasturella are very common.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennicat View Post
If he's actively got a bacterial infection, a culture should grow something as long as you can swab the nasal area. You don't necessarily have to have big goops of discharge, the regular mucous that he'd have in his nose should culture bacteria if there is any there. It should also be able to identify what antibiotics are effective against that particular bacteria.

In general, we try to rule out everything else before allergies, because allergies in small animals are relatively uncommon (and typically present with skin rashes/itchiness -- they tend to be ingestion allergies) and respiratory infections and pasturella are very common.
Thanks. His lungs are clear so perhaps that is why the vet felt he didn't need a culture. If the new meds don't work, I might push for a culture. After the meds are done, if he still sounds congested, I think I will go with kathydip's idea and give him Benadryl to give him some relief from his symptoms. I don't want to give him Benadryl now because the Nutri-drops has a molasses base, and Benadryl is high in sugar, and giving both at the same time I would guess could upset his digestive system. I have no idea what he could be allergic to if it is allergies, since his problem is the same whether he is inside or outside. He does not have hair loss. I guess I could try changing the type of hay I am giving him. I get hay by the bale from a farm, so I could switch him to all timothy from a pet store.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 01:45 PM
is a little "special"

Awww, poor Honey!
I hope he just has some allergies. Smudges allergies just cleared up in the last couple weeks.
Is Honey molting? If he is, that could explain the nasty attitude. Smudge has been Sir Growly Pants since he started moulting again. Just give him lots of treats and love, and tell him that Smudge sends him some "Get well" vibes!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Awww, poor Honey!
I hope he just has some allergies. Smudges allergies just cleared up in the last couple weeks.
Is Honey molting? If he is, that could explain the nasty attitude. Smudge has been Sir Growly Pants since he started moulting again. Just give him lots of treats and love, and tell him that Smudge sends him some "Get well" vibes!!
Thanks Jess. I think he is all done molting. I seperated him from his girlfriend when he got sick because I didn't want her to catch anything from him. I think that might have something to do with him being grumpy. Did you ever figure out what Smudge was allergic to?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 07:14 PM
is a little "special"

Not exactly, but I know it was some kind of plant outside. I noticed that whenever the windows were shut and the AC was on, his eyes cleared up, but when they were open again his eye started watering right away. His eyes havent watered for a couple weeks now, but he still sneezes once in a while. When he has his checkup in the spring, Im going to ask about getting some allergy meds.
Just having Honey inside might help clear things up too, if its an allergy. And it would also go away by winter.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Honey finished his second round of antibiotics Tuesday night, and he is no better. He goes to the vet today for a culture.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 02:07 PM
Rodentologist

Good luck! Check with your vet about the type of culture being done. There are two types, one just basically checks to see if the bacteria is there, and the other is a sensitivity test. The sensitivity test costs more typically, but will actually tell you which antibiotic will take care of the problem!

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

She did a sensitivity test. The price was $70. My vet is going out of town for the weekend, so I will get the results on Monday.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 11:01 PM
Rodentologist

Fingers crossed!

Tags
sick rabbit