sick rabbit - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

sick rabbit

jamy has been sick with the snuffles for several months now. she sneezes constantly and has some disscharge. my parents wont let me bring her inside, and a trip to the vet would probably be ok but id like to avoid it if i can. does anyone know of any otc medds i can give her in pill form?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 01:48 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Your best bet would be to take her to the vet. The symptoms you are describing can be signs of many diseases. And leaving the bunny outside really doesn't let them get the cold, Charlie is still outside and she is fine. The vet will be able to determine what is wrong with your bunny and then give you some meds for her if needed.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 05:34 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I agree with Natalie, get it to the vet especially if it's been sick for a while as you said. I hope she gets well soon .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 07:28 PM
Blu
Adolescent Pup

Ooo I agree too, if it were just a cold she should have gotten over it by now.

To thine own self be true..treat your critters like YOU want to be treated!

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 10:12 PM
PT's Official Law Breaker

It may be an allergy or it may be Pasteurella. The vet will need to get a nasal culture to determine what it is. If it is the latter she needs to be on Baytril. Baytril will get rid of the symptoms, but it will remain in her system and if she gets stressed it can start up again. It is airborne so don't expose any other bunnies to her. So basically you do need to get her to the vet to see what it is. Pasteurella starts in the sinuses, but can spread to the rest of the body and kill a rabbit if not treated properly.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

i did take her to the vet, and she gave me a $60 antiboitic, i hope it works!!

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 05:56 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I hope Jamy is feeling better? Give her a big huggy from me!

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 07:59 AM
Playful Pup

if you wanted to, you can do some research of it on the internet, my bun had sniffles, but luckily it went away within a few days. when i first noticed it, he was cold, so i mad him a little nest, and wrapped him in a blankie.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

thanks for your concern PURPLEBUNNY, shes been getting so many "hugs" from people, she loves the attention. the medicine they gave me is going to run out before the two weeks is up that shes supposed to be on it, so we have to go all the way up to her vet (which is really out of the way) and get more. hopefully they wont charge me another 60 bucks!!! also i dont think shes eating her pellets. my parents have been letting me bring her inside to run around in my room a couple times a day and she gets greens then, but if i put them outside they would be frozen before she could eat them. ill probably talk to my vet again and see what i can do.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 04:46 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

Please keep me informed of her progress..

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 05:11 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

What kind of antibiotic did you get? Baytril? I'm surprised it was so expensive. What did the vet diagnose her with? Did she go to a rabbit experienced vet?

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 07:33 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I hope she feels better!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 09:29 PM
Tiny Grosskisser

I don't have a bunny, but sixty dollars is a lot for antibiotic. If you don't mind me asking, what vet do you go to?

When I get antibiotics for my chinnies, it's only around ten dollars!

Karen

[

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 02:41 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

How cold is it where you live? You can't keep taking your rabbit inside if it's cold outside, it'll make them sick because they can't cope with the big temperature changes so quickly.