Sleepy bunnies - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

View Poll Results: Do your rabbits sleep with their eyes open, or closed??
Open, or half open 4 15.38%
Closed 5 19.23%
Sometimes open, and sometimes closed 11 42.31%
I have multiple rabbits, some keep them open and some close them 6 23.08%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Sleepy bunnies

Do your rabbits sleep with their eyes opened, or closed??

When I first got Zeus I didn't know that a lot of rabbit's will actually sleep with their eyes open. Zeus almost never slept with his eyes closed. He always kept them opened, or half opened. There was no sneaking up on him, even when he was sleeping!

Barnaby, on the other hand, sleeps with his closed. He always looks so comfortable when he's sleeping... all flopped over with his eyes closed. He even snores sometimes Jeez I wish I could sleep as well as he does...you can poke him when he's sleeping and he'll just move over alittle or push your hand away with his paw, without opening his eyes or anything. And sometimes I swear he's dreaming about eating, because he'll start licking his lips and/or move his mouth in his sleep, like he's chewing something. Silly bunny.

Do your bunnies have any funny/cute sleeping habits??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 06:17 PM
is a little "special"

Smudge sleeps with his eyes closed if hes just laying down, but if hes flopped over on his side, theyre open... Its kinda creepy tho, cuz when his eyes are open when hes asleep, he looks down so much that you can see the whites of his eyes, and he looks kinda phycotic, LOL XD

He doesnt really have any other wierd habbits tho... but once when he was sleeping on his side, he got the hiccups, adn I freaked out cuz I thought he was having a siezure!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Tabby would always sleep on her side with her eyes open. But she didn't wake up as soon as I came in the room - it was horrible until I got used to it. Still sometimes she would scare the daylights out of me.
I never seem to be able to catch Penelope, Oliver or Ophelia sleeping. They hear me coming and wake up. Teddy once scared me. He was flopped on his side zonked out and eyes wide open. I freaked and scared the crap out of him. That teaches him for being so relaxed. Sometimes Teddy closes his eyes but not all the time.
It was the hardest thing to get used to about bunnies. I don't think I will ever totally be used to it.
I love that Barnaby is that comfortable that he can be so relaxed.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 12:31 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Elvis changes his sleeping positions but he usually sleeps with his eyes closed at night. During the day when he's just napping he leaves them open, though.

Fiona always sleeps with her eyes open although they're sometimes half shut .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 10:41 AM
Adolescent Pup

I don't think I've ever seen Flash with his eyes closed. He's a relaxed little guy, so he often flops over on his side, especially after eating breakfast, but his eyes are always open.

--Fromper
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 03:33 PM
Betta Bomb

you know,ive never seen Acacia asleep with her eyes closed. i think she's the devil. akina plops on her side lets out a good sigh and half closes them,they probably close them in the dark-how would i know??
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 04:40 PM
Part of the Pack

Lucky sleeps with his eyes open...they have a glazed over look. Sometimes you can tell he is sleeping because his head bobs to the side.

Molly totally zonks out even without the protection of her cage. You can put hay in her litterbox and change her water and she doesn't even notice. She is totally relaxed.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 02:59 PM
Playful Pup

I don't know if I've ever seen Nino sleep. I think she sleeps with her eyes half closed looking like she's about to pass out.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Playful Pup

Snowy sleeps at his side with the eyes closed and when i do disturb him he opens his eyes slightly and licks his hands back to sleep. Snoopy on the other hand sleeps with both hers eyes open and always waiting to run away...
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 05:59 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Teddy was passed out on his side with his eyes closed today. I feel badly because I think I startled him.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 02:13 AM
Newborn Pup

Most of the time Cleo sleeps with her eyes open. But I've seen your with closed eyes too on a few occasions.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 01:57 PM
Adolescent Pup

ruby does this half open thing. she's on my upstairs back porch and there is a door that goes from the office to the porch that is clear glass so i look out and she is sitting up with her eyes half open but sleeping. i thought she was just bored so i bought her extra toys but i think she is just a really sleepy rabbit! she sleeps a lot.. but i'll bet she stays up all night!! =]

Miss Ruby Alice -- Mini-lop Rabbit (2.5 years old)

Buddy -- Toy Poodle (9 years old)

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."

-George Eliot

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 11:40 PM
I am allergic to maths

Silly wabbits, I would be totally freaked myself if I ever saw a rabbit sleeping with its eyes open :p
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 08:19 AM
Newborn Pup

Dee sleeps with her eyes closed when she's flopped on her side on the floor or in her cage. If she's sleeping in bed with me, she does the eyese half-closed thing mostly though I can't say for sure about all of the time because she burrows under my covers. Of course,this is the bunny who bites my dog and anyone stupid enough not to pet her when she jumps in their lap. (She gives a one grunt warning that you shound begin petting and if you don't, she bites - she has us well trained.) She's not afraid of anything that I've found yet; no survivial instinct but that's okay 'cause I'll protect her.

Shadow - I've had her for 4 years and I'm not sure she sleeps at all ...I've never seen her with her eyes completely closed. I've only seen her eyelids droop when her and Dee are in the cage and she's laying between Dee and the cage wall.

It's a full house...
Munchkin - my 7-year-old human child who is much more work than a pet
Casper - my fluffy mutt with a shady past
Dee - my angry destructive wonderful bunny
Shadow - the bunny who lives here and is devoted to Dee but only likes sleeping humans
And the Ratkins - Blaise, Tersa, and Aura
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I dont know much about bunnies except my cat brought two home the other day and i have them in a cage and they sleep with thier eyes close.... but they are babies.... so who knows......