Slightly silly bunny emergency (?) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Slightly silly bunny emergency (?)

Flash has a piece of tape stuck to him. I know it sounds silly, but it's on the front of his chest, between his front legs and his head, so I can't remove it without him biting me. I even have the teeth marks on my hand to prove it.

It's this brown tape that I use on the corners of some walls and furniture specifically to keep Flash from chewing on them. He can never seem to lift the edges to get it off, but this time, he managed to poke a hole near the middle and rip a piece off that's maybe two inches long and half an inch wide, and it's just stuck there across his chest.

He's been trying to get it off himself, as it obviously annoys him, and I've tried to help, but as I said, I get bit. I also sprayed him with some water, in the hopes of loosening the adhesive, but that didn't seem to help any.

My big problem is that I'm just not good enough at handling him to force him to stay still and let me get to this thing. I'm sure I could peel it off, or maybe cut it off with scissors, if I could get to it for 15 seconds without being bitten. I thought about wearing gloves, so he could bite those instead, but then I wouldn't have good enough control with my fingers to manipulate the tape.

I don't think he's going to be able to get it off by himself, although he keeps trying, so I'm not really worried about him swallowing it if I just leave it there. So I'm thinking of just calling the vet first thing tomorrow morning and bringing him in for help.

Any other suggestions?

--Fromper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 04:18 PM
Part of the Pack

Hm. I took henry to an after hours clinic and to get him flipped over I had to hold his head and shoulders while the vet shaved his leg.. Can you get someone (maybe with gloves) to cover his eyes and hold his head while someone else snips the tape/ peels it off? It might seem mean but I'm guessing it would work. A vet trip might be expensive?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

give your love no matter what.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 04:21 PM
Will It Ever Change?

what about wrapping him in a towel

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 05:06 PM
is a little "special"

You could distract him with something nummy to lick off a finger (honey maybe?) while you take the tape off.
Just clip the fur under it with a scissors, so it can come off quickly without hurting him.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 06:56 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Have you ever tried to trance him before? That is when you lay them on their backs belly up. Some bunnies can be tranced easily and don't mind - like my Teddy. Then others don't really relax and just flip themselves up - like Penelope. And then there are those that you cannot even flip over at all - that is my Ollie and Ophelia. You should try - just wear long sleeves because they can scratch.
Jess' idea of distracting him with something extremely yummy is a great one. I am not sure if you can combine the two. I don't think so.

Poor Flash - bunnies can get themselves into some predicaments.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I thought about trying to trance him, but I can usually barely get him to let me pick him up, let alone flip him over. He REALLY hates being picked up.

I tried distracting him with a treat, but it wasn't enough of a distraction. I also tried gloves, but he still wouldn't let me get to the tape without running. I really just can't get him to hold still long enough to do anything. I think I'm going to have to take him in to the vet first thing in the morning.

--Fromper
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 08:43 PM
zen
Newborn Pup

Maybe gooping on some oil to soften the adhesive, quickly so he doesn't freak? I can't find anything to suggest it might be harmful. If it was loosened maybe he could get it off himself, he'll probably continue to poke at it.

good luck-
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I finally got it off!

I actually tried the trancing thing first, but that went about as well as expected. I picked him up and tried to put him down on the couch slowly on his back. He did the cat thing and landed on his feet, then bolted off the couch, which was pretty much exactly what I expecting.

But I tried again with the "treat in one hand, scissors in the other" method. I was able to distract him enough with papaya treats that he let me finally get ahold of the tape for a second, and I was able to cut some of his hair right at the end of it. Once I had a loose end to work with, I just kept feeding him treats over and over while trying to grab that loose end. I got a good grip on it one time, and he ran away (again) because he didn't like me touching him there, and it yanked right off.

I don't even think it hurt him to yank it off like that. He was just happy to be getting so many treats.

Now I just have to hope that giving him that many treats at once doesn't give him a stomach ache. This took a LOT of tries. I think I gave him about 8-10 papaya treats, 4 raisins, and 5 or 6 little pieces of dried banana. That's about 10 times as many treats as I'd normally give him in an entire day, plus what I gave him earlier when I tried the same thing once or twice without success.

--Fromper
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 10:06 PM
Part of the Pack

Good thing you got it off. Who would have thought some tape would cause such a fuss?

give your love no matter what.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 10:26 PM

It sounds like Flash is just like my Ollie and Ophelia. I don't think I could ever get them on their backs. I was lucky enough to corner Ollie tonight and pet him.
I am glad that you got the tape off. Just keep an eye on his poos to see if the treats upset his tummy. I gave Penelope diarrhea by giving her too many greens and pumpkin at the same time. I just backed off the amount of "wet" food I gave her and it cleared right up. Of course it was not as easy cleaning up all the spots on the rug.
Give Flash a scratch from me.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well, he did eat his greens and some of his hay before all the treats, so hopefully, that'll stabilize his stomach. Also, the treats were all dried stuff, so hopefully, it'll be ok. I'll just keep an eye on his litter box tomorrow. I have to go to work, so he'll spend the whole day in his cage, anyway, so at least any problems won't end up on the carpet.

Thanks for all the suggestions today, everyone! I really was in a bit of a panic trying to figure out how to resolve this. He's so good about letting me scratch his ears and pet his back, but he just won't let me touch him anywhere else, and this was right in the worst spot - within biting distance of his mouth!

Speaking of which, I don't need to be worry about my own health from his bite, do I? He actually got me hard enough to draw blood, so I washed it and put neosporin and a band-aid on it, but I wasn't planning to do anything else. Given that he's lived with me since April, I'm fairly certain that he doesn't have rabies, and I'm not sure what else he could possibly be carrying.

--Fromper
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 01:16 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

he probably isn't carrying anything, but bacteria in his mouth could cause infection, just keep it clean and some antibiotic ointment should be ok

[/CENTER]

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 05:31 PM

If you are worried you can call your vet to ask. That is who we called when my sister was bitten by a field mouse. We called the doctor first and he didn't really know much about wild mouse bites- so we called the vet.
BTW - If I remember correctly he said mice weigh so little they can't really carry rabies. Bunnies can - but if you have had him since April I cannot imagine that he would have any horrible diseases.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Playful Pup

What a sticky situation!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathydip View Post
If you are worried you can call your vet to ask. That is who we called when my sister was bitten by a field mouse. We called the doctor first and he didn't really know much about wild mouse bites- so we called the vet.
BTW - If I remember correctly he said mice weigh so little they can't really carry rabies. Bunnies can - but if you have had him since April I cannot imagine that he would have any horrible diseases.
Yeah, I thought about that. I've had Flash since April, and I took him to a vet right after I adopted him. He checked out clean then, so I'm pretty sure he's disease free. My bite mark seems to be healing pretty well after only a day and a half. Neosporin is wonderful stuff.

Also, Flash's litter box looks normal today, so apparently the extra treats yesterday didn't upset his stomach. He ate his dinner normally tonight, chewed on some wood, shredded a phone book, and ran around the living room. So he's back to his normal self.

--Fromper

Tags
rabbit bunny tape