Small poops - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Question Small poops

First, sorry for the subject.... My bunny has been doing some small poops for about a week. He has his regular size ones mixed with really tiny ones. Anyone knows how come my bunny is making small poops? Should I worry? If so what to do? Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 03:42 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I don't really know about this, but sometimes poop sizes vary.

What it could also be is hairballs. The hair could cause the stomach to not be able to digest as much food as usual and that might be causing the smaller poops. That's just my guess, some of the more experienced people might be able to tell you what it is for sure!
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

That's also what I thought but I don't see no hair in his poops, or hair holding 2 poops together. I really find those poops to be too small to be normal. It's the size of bb gun bbs. It's that small. And yesterday he had a huge one but not so round (like a peanut size and shape) !!! Hopefuly someone is experience enough to help me out. Sorry again for the details...but that's the only way to go for getting help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 03:50 PM
Adolescent Pup

Poor bleety a while back was getting alot of small poops and wasn't eating. He turned out to be a little sick (on its way to gastric stasis). We got him some medicine and he was fine. As mentioned, hairballs can mess up poop sizes too. Check and see if there are any hairs mixed with the poop.

If it continues, I'd go see the doc.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 03:51 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I hope he gets better soon!
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 03:51 PM
Adolescent Pup

Oh, and I just remembered we also fed him a purely veg diet like kale and dandelion leaves, which helped alot also. Try that first before the doc.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Bleety, he has no hair in his poop! Do you know if a lot of veggies can cause him to make small poops? I have reduces the amount of veggies since yesterday. Is there other things I can give him beside medecin?
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 03:55 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

My bunnies poops, are also various sizes..

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 04:28 PM
Adolescent Pup

I would not just take it in stride. Smaller poops can be a sign of intestinal problems, including (but not limited to) hairballs. Has his eating or drinking lessened any, or is he still eating the same amount? If he is eating and drinking normally, there is less to worry about (gastrointestinal stasis would be less likely then), but he could still have worms. Pinworms are the most common type of worms in rabbits, though they do serve as a secondary host for tapeworms as well.

Have you changed the diet at all or is his water different (different source, etc.) ? If so, that could be why. Diet changes can make for different size poops.

If you have not changed his diet and it continues, or if he is eating or drinking less, definitely have a rabbit knowledgeable vet take a look at him.

The huge one sounds like he might have started to get soft poops, which can also be a sign of digestive problems. The fact that it was in the middle of extra small pellets is a bit worrisome.

If he is not used to a lot of veggies, do NOT switch him over to mostly veggies, please, or you can end up with a dead rabbit very quickly. Veggies have to be introduced slowly. They are good for rabbits, but some rabbits cannot handle certain veggies and some cannot handle many veggies. Also, sudden diet changes are always very stressful on a rabbit's digestive system, and a sudden overload of veggies can result in severe diarrhea as well as gastrointestinal stasis (a very deadly problem).

Miyabita Designs
Affordable, custom, hand-coded websites, plus graphics

Usagi no Tsukiyo
A well of rabbit information

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

No changed in his diet. Was thinking that maybe I was giving him too much veggies...so I reduced. The only thing I changed in his diet was I put a bit of apple juice in his water (1/8-1/10 of it) because I didnt have a fruit treat that day for him. But he was already having small poops.... What can I do Miyabita? Stop veggies for a while? He has a lot of choices for hay. Is that a good thing or bad thing (he has mixed hay, oat, brome, Timothy, orchard and give him alfalfa once in a while, he is 5-6 months old)

Last edited by Sandra; 11-23-2004 at 04:36 PM.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 04:44 PM
Adolescent Pup

What veggies do you feed him and how much? He may also have suddenly developed a reaction to a certain veggie. It happens occassionally. Broccoli, cabbage, watery type lettuces (like iceburg), and cauliflower are the usual culprits in this case.

Until I know that, I say don't cut back the veggies. Right now, it would be best to leave the diet as it is except taking out the alfalfa and oat hay (leave the rest, but those two are a "hotter" feed with more protein which can occassionally cause or worsen problems) and don't give him any fruit (anything with sugar gives the bad bacteria in his hindgut more food so they multiply faster...normally a little fruit is okay, but if he is possibly having problems you don't want to give him anything with a lot of natural or processed sugar, including fruit). Is he eating and drinking a normal amount? If he is eating or drinking less, take him to a vet as he is probably getting stasis. If taking out alfalfa, oat hay, and fruit does not help him in a couple days, take him to a vet.

Miyabita Designs
Affordable, custom, hand-coded websites, plus graphics

Usagi no Tsukiyo
A well of rabbit information

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I will take the fruits, oat and alfalfa out of his diet for a while. He was having blackberries until I ran out of them 2 days ago. And this week he has been having kale, watercress, swiss chard, red leafy lettuce and romain lettuce. Too much? he was getting a lot of veggies. He seem to be eating and drinking water as much. And there's always a lot of pee in his litter box so thats a good sign...right?! If its a worm, how would he get that? His playpen is cleaned daily and litterbox every 2nd day. I leave the water in bottle about 2 days since he likes his water room temperature.

Last edited by Sandra; 11-23-2004 at 04:54 PM.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 05:12 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Lots of leafy greens and hay should help. I know you already feed lots of hay. Leafy greens are also great for the digestive system, like others on here have mentioned.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Yeah I feed lots of hay but he seem to be picky....He doesnt want Timothy hay and he used to love it! I dont know how to make him eat more hay beside reducing pellets/veggies and giving him choices of hays..... At least he is eating the mixed hay...
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

This is the amount of veggies my bunny gets X2 a day now. Is that a ok amount for a Netherland Dwarf? Before I reduced his veggies intake (2 days ago) he had double that X2 a day. Was I giving too much?! And would that explain the tiny poops?

Last edited by Sandra; 11-23-2004 at 10:10 PM.

Tags
companion animals, litter box, netherland dwarf, oat hay, pet owner, timothy hay, wet food