Smelly Smelly - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2004, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Question Smelly Smelly

Ok, I am a very clean person and this is driving me insane. I have a room in our basement for our bunnies. We now have 7 bunnies. The room stinks something horrible. We clean out the cages at least 2 sometimes 3 times a week. Just a few days ago I noticed a bad odor. I cleaned out the cages and the next day the smell was still there but worse. It is killing me. What do you do to control odor. Is there any other type of bedding that I can use other than pine shavings to help with the odor. Today, I cleaned the concrete floor and the wall wood frame with bleach and water. After it dried I cleaned it with pine floor cleaner. It is smelling better but not totally. What else can I do? I really love the bunnies and I am afraid that my hubby will make us get rid of them if the smell persists.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2004, 01:28 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Try cleaning the cage pans with vinegar after you change the shavings. I bought a product called cell-sorb plus to use with Praline and have been very happy with the odor control. It's a little pricey though.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2004, 02:20 PM

Are your rabbits litter box trained or do they just go to the bathroom in the bedding? My bunnies both use litter boxes and it makes things a lot easier to keep clean. Their room still gets smelly pretty fast and I have to clean the litter boxes at least once a day, but I think it keeps things much cleaner than if they weren't using them at all. I use Carefresh bedding as litter. Its more expensive than shavings but it helps with the odor. Carefresh is also much safer for your rabbits. I also use vinegar to clean the litter boxes. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2004, 04:33 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

be careful using pine shavings...it can upset your rabbit's respitory system!
I line my rabbits cages with newspaper, they are toilet trained, both live in the house and even with just washing their cage out once a week and changing the paper and litter every second day they don't smell. Use vinegar over all them chemicals...will work better and is safer for bunnies too!! Ever thought about putting one of those plug in air freshners in there?

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2004, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I will look into different bedding and putting a litter box in their cages.

I found out what the majority of the smell was. My hubby and I made a deal. He would be in charge of the cat and dog.....I would be in charge of the bunnies. He only has 2 animals to care for and I have 7 (for now) to care for. I did a major clean of the basement and found that he has been putting the part empty cans of cat food in the trash can down there and did not take it out this Sunday night for the trash pick up.....Also He has not been empting the cats litter box. Cats litter box if not emptied out and fresh litter added to the box has a horrible smell. Well, that is the main cause of the smell. I could just kill him. I spent days trying to figure it out and it was the cat. She does not need to be in the basement anymore due to the warm weather. So she is just going to have to stay outside. I love her with all my heart but she is use to being outside and that is where she needs to be. She has our covered front poarch to sleep and cover while it rains. grrrrrr, all that for nothing.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2004, 04:40 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

oh no how annoying!!!!! I'd kill him too!!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2004, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I must say. There will be a serious chat about this when he gets home. He will surely know how I feel about it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2004, 06:03 PM
PT's Official Law Breaker

With a number of rabbits like that, a fan circulating the air will also help to cut down the amonia smell.

There is also a product called Staloson (Sp?) and it is also marketed under another name I think. You can buy it at some feed stores and you sprinkle it on th bedding and it really does kill the smell. It is a pink powder. It can be kind of pricey, but with only 7 rabbits it would last you for ages.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2004, 09:39 PM
Lor

I use vinegar too, it works great for the smell and is inexpensive. It's also bunny friendly, bleach can be very bad around your pets. Litter boxes would definately help your situation. I currently use Good Mews, it's made from recycled newspaper and it absorbs urine very well, then I scoop out the soiled litter every second day or so and completely clean them out with vinegar atleast once a week. I've never had a problem with smelly cages.
Now if your hubby will just do his part, you're all set
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2004, 09:54 PM
Miss New Booty

OMG! It was the kitty box the whole time!? Ugh I know that smell all too well, I had a problem with Snuggles peeing on the floor. Glad you found out what it was. How is everything going with the bunnies?

~* Jackie *~

Tags
box trained, carefresh bedding, cat food, litter box, litter box trained, litter boxes, pine shavings