snuffles? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

snuffles?

i have a nine month old ND named jamy. when i got her i noticed her sneezing a lot because the place was using ceder bedding ( a big no-no) i imediately switched to straw. i have her outside and i live in Wisconsin, so its cold! today was the first day her bottle froze, but her nose is really runny. it has been for about 2 months now. she is still sneezing, but not as mutch. im wondering if theres anything i can do to help her, i feel really bad but i cant bring her inside. my parents dont want her inside (mainly because my grandma raised bunns for all my dads childhood and she never brought them inside) they just dont understand how seriouse this situation could be! help please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 11:34 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

you need to take her to the vet and get her treated. Snuffles will never go away but the symptoms can be treated. Right now your bunny feels like she has a permanent cold. You should also ring the breeder and let them know, chances are she got it from the mother. But then they don't all listen. We have three rabbit breeders that come into work and they breed all their rabbits, regardless of health and can't understand why they are all coming down with snuffles when they have them all in the same area Some people.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

well, sinse my vet lives abour 1.5 hours away, and its in the middle of know where, i highly doubt my parents will want to drive in this wheather(its snowing like crazy!!!) i got her from a pet store so i dont know who her breeder is, she was very shy and mean when i got her, also very skiney so i duno if her breeder whould even be worth it if he let her get that way to begin with. is there any otc products i can get her instead or prescription?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 02:31 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

well my boss is a homeopathic vet and often he will treat them with herbs, so they aren't constantly having antibiotics, but he still requires to see them. I don't have any recommendations for her at home except to make sure she is warm and comfortable and eating and drinking fine. While you have her, I wouldn't recommend getting another rabbit and try ringing the pet store. If they are a caring store they might refuse to buy from that breeder. Maybe ring your vet and explain the situation and see what they say. I don't know what you could use at home.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 06:54 PM
Adolescent Pup

Cedar is not necessarily the reason it was sneezing, just to let you know. Many rabbits are fine with both cedar and pine bedding, some aren't.

As for the sneezing, is there any discharge? Generally infectious snuffles (snuffles is just a catch-all phrase for anything that causes sneezing, discharge, etc. which can include allergies) include white or coloured discharge whereas allergies or stress can cause clear discharge. If it is coloured or white, your rabbit probably has pastuerella, staph, bordatella, or one of the less common bacteria that can invade a rabbit's system. If it is clear, she might just be reacting to the stress of the cold. Getting a culture done at a vet's would be the best option because then you can see exactly what is going on. You can tell if there is actually a bacteria in the nasal passage or if there is nothing to be alarmed at.

Definitely keep it away from other rabbits, because if it is one of the above-mentioned bacteria it is extremelly contagious.

As for the breeder, it may not have come from the breeder of that rabbit. The petstore may have gotten rabbits from different sources (or from a dealer who buys from several different breeders) and the rabbit got ill from a different rabbit. It is not really true that they usually get it from their mom. Sometimes the babies actually have a higher immunity to the disease if their mother has it (We found this out when we had a pregnant doe get bordatella. At that point we could do nothing; she was already pregnant. Turns out the babies were all fine, and they were some of the few in that section of the barn that did not get bordatella.) They usually get it from a rabbit near them. Pastuerella (generally thought of as the most common bacteria to cause snuffles) can travel clear across the room from a sneeze and infect a rabbit all the way on the other side of a room. Obviously, the closer a rabbit is to an infected rabbit and the longer it is by that rabbit, the more likely it is to get sick as well, but the bacteria is extremelly infectious. It can be carried on hands and clothings, on rabbit equipment, etc. Some even theorize that it can be carried in the lungs of people who visit a barn with infected rabbits, especially if there are a lot of infected rabbits.

Miyabita Designs
Affordable, custom, hand-coded websites, plus graphics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Usagi no Tsukiyo
A well of rabbit information

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
pet store, pine bedding