Snuggles has diarrhea - please help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Snuggles has diarrhea - please help!

Hi everyone,

My 1 yr old bunny Snuggles was neutered yesterday and now he has diarrhea. I don't know what to do, I'm so scared. When he first came home yesterday, he wouldn't eat anything but I finally managed to get him to eat a few bites here and there of lettuce, apples, and oats. I had to handfeed everything - he was still pretty groggy from the surgery. I got him to drink a little bit of water but he refused to touch his pellets or hay.

Today, he's more perky but I noticed a few hours ago that he now has diarrhea. The care sheet I got from the vet mentioned that I should monitor his droppings and call immediately if they appear abnormal. However, they're now closed and I don't know what to do! Perhaps it's due to the fresh fruits/veggies he ate yesterday? It wasn't much but he didn't eat his hay or pellets at all. I've taken away all fresh fruits and veggies and have been trying to get him to eat pellets, hay, and drink water. I've had some success but not much so far. Has anyone had any experience with this? Please help!! I don't know what else to do and I'm really scared and worried.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 04:09 AM

Awe, hun, I'm sorry! I can't offer any advice on the problem, but have you attempted to call the vet's phone number and leave a message? Sometimes during the pre-recorded message, they announce an emergency phone number to call or some other option to help you.

***Edit: I don't know your location, but there's always 24/7 emergency help available. I found this clinic from a Google Search (open 24/7/365). Maybe they can help you until you can reach your regular vet: 703-777-5755

Last edited by Z Car Barbie; 03-23-2005 at 04:14 AM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 04:29 AM

Stacie, I don't mean to scare you any more than you already are, but please read this article I just found, written by a doctor: http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-d...enteritis.html

There has to be somewhere you can take your bunny for medical assistance. If you cannot reach the vet who neutered him, then he/she should legally be responsible for the additional expenses of another vet if the problem is related to an antibiotic reaction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 06:29 PM

How is your bunny?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 06:50 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

The diarrhea could be a reaction to the anaesthetic or like Z Car Barbie has mentioned a reaction to the antibiotics that he is on, i really would seek a vets attention if you can to be on the safe side as something so small can become major if left for too long and always better to be safe than sorry where small animals are concerned its probably nothing but better to be sure. Most vets have an out of hours service even if you just talk to someone over the phone for now would be better than nothing. Please keep us informed

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
Please keep us informed
Yes, Stacie, please ... we're worried about Snuggles too. If nothing else, we are here for support, hun.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 11:18 AM

it might just be from the lettuce you have him, was it romane/ leaf or iceburg? iceburg is really bad for bunns, I accidently gave it to jamy when i first got her, and she had the poops for a few days, she was fine though. I hope your bunn is ok.
Robin
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Good news everyone - Snuggles has made a full recovery after the surgery! I gave him pedialyte and oats only for a few days and would handfeed him pellets and hay. Eventually, he began eating those things on his own and the diarrhea is gone now! Yay!!!

Thank you all for your help and support! He still will have a mushy poop occasionally (about once a day) but he was doing this prior to the surgery. Is this normal?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 07:47 AM
Paw Talk's prodicle son .

So glad to hear Snuggles is feeling much better now.

= ^ _ ^ =

* sings *

He's in the Jailhouse now , he's in the Jailhouse now , well I told him once or twice .

To stop chewing wood and Pooping nice , he's in the jailhouse now.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 04:26 PM

glad to hear he's better
yes I think ocationally mushy poop in normal
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 07:04 PM

Glad to hear he is better!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 07:14 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aaaaawwwww i'm so glad to hear Snuggles is much better

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 07:26 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

It's great that he's doing well now!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Tags
regular vet