so i found a rabbit - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

so i found a rabbit

yea, my mom found a gray baby bunny rabbit. i was able to pick it up and comfort it into a cage we had in the garage. i already own a rat and a guinea pig so i have some idea of what to do, but I've never owned a rabbit. my mom says it may be someone else's which is possible, but until we find the owner (if ever) i need some help. just some idea of how to take care of this very adorable rabbit. i already gave him/her lettuce and my mom is out getting a water bottle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 09:31 PM

I hope it wasn't iceberg lettuce. That's bad for rabbits.

I've just started taking care of a pair of rabbits myself, but I did a lot of reading up. Basically, feed your bunny alfalfa pellets, and make sure there's a good supply of alfalfa or timothy hay in the cage. fresh water. and a handful of fresh veggies once a day. Carrots, parsley, and whatever dark leaf type lettuce is in your fridge should be okay. There's a list on this forum somewhere either near the bottom of this first page or on the second page. It was posted a very short time ago.

Regular exercise and lots of love, and the baby bunny should be fine. Just lay on the floor with it and let it come to you. It's not terribly difficult.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

thank you, we have alfalfa so i'll give him some of that. the rabbit is ours, we found out that someone let them loose after the momma rabbit had them, the rest are somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Alfalfa pellets are fine for young rabbits, but once it's older and done growing, it's best to switch to timothy pellets to prevent your rabbit from becoming overweight.

Fresh hay and water is the most important thing. Rabbits NEED fresh hay to eat, unlimited amounts, everday. Timothy or other grass hays are the best for older rabbits, but if its still young and not done growing, then alfalfa is fine too. Even if you feed pellets, they still need hay. And veggies are good, but they're not recommended for young rabbits and you need to introduce them into the diet slowly to make sure they don't upset your rabbits stomach.

Here's the link the the House Rabbit Society site, it's a great place to start your research

http://www.rabbit.org/care/index.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

Poor bunnies - if you find anymore of the babies you should catch them and bring them into a shelter or something, domestic rabbits don't usually last very long outside on their own.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

thank you for the replies so far, i have one more question: can i feed it rabbit food? we have some rabbit food we bought on accident, its not baby food so thats why im asking
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

For a baby bunny you should feed an alfalpha based pellet. I am sure that timothy pellets would be okay to give him for a day or so - especially since you said you are giving him alfalpha hay.
Dragonrain is right - go slow with the veggies. I was told no veggies until they were a few months old. Do you have any idea when the babies were born?
I am still amazed that someone would be so uncaring as to let a bunny loose. But then I remind myself that 2 of my rabbits have been strays wandering around on their own.
You are definitely in the right place for learning about bunnies. I did a ton of research on the internet when I got my first bunny - but here you can find out about personailties and the silly ways of bunnies.
Post pictures of your new sweetie! I would love to see him.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

my mom went to anjans pet store and asked what she needed and got it. im giving him (or her, im not sure) water, timothy hay, yogurt treats for rabbits (?). one thing is weird though, he is not eating the pellets we got him, if he is then he is doing it very slowly, he loves the timothy hay though
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Pellets really arn't important to a rabbit's diet as long as they get plenty of hay and fresh veggies/greens when they are old enough. Since she/he is young, keep offering the pellets - but as long as it's eating plenty of hay it's not a big deal if it doesn't like the pellets.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

ok thank you. does anyone know how i can tell if it is a boy or girl?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

There are tons of websites that show the diffrence between the boys and the girls. I never found it difficult personally but some people say they have a hard time telling them apart. When they are around 3 months old, the boys testicles will usually start to show - which is a sure sign that you have a boy.

This website has some pictures you can look at to help you determine if you have a boy or a girl (there's pictures, so if anyone doesn't want to see them don't click) - or if you don't find this site helpful, just trying googling "sexing rabbits" or something like that and you should find plenty of other websites.

http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/sexing.shtml
http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/sexingboys.shtml
http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/sexinggirls.shtml

Tags
baby bunny, grass hay, guinea pig, house rabbit, house rabbit society, pet store, rabbit food, rabbit society, timothy hay