So what do I need to know? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

So what do I need to know?

Hi Everyone,

I would like to know the basics of Rabbits and there care.
We had a Rabbits when I was a kid, but these were not pets if you catch my drift. So I'm not totally a newbie to rabbits, but i'm no expert either.

Anyways, I've been researching small animals, mostly Ginea Pigs as a next pet. I will be moving in the next couple of months so we will have alot more room. Anyways the reason I want to know more about rabbits is b/c my little cousin is off to college and just dosn't have the time to spend with her Rabbit "Bo".
I don't want Bo to be alone if I decide to take him, So I'm kind of thinking I would get him neutered and adopt a female bunny friend for him.

Now I feed my gerbils Timothy hay, is it safe for Rabbits? In college the small amount we were taught on rabbit health was that they cannot eat Alfalfa b/c it was alcaline (sp?) there urine causeing stones.

Anyways, Please Inform me!
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 03:40 PM

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 06:58 PM

I agree that if you get Bo then you should get him neutered and find him a suitable lady friend.. Bunnies like to be in groups as they can get lonely.. Keep us informed..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplebunny
I agree that if you get Bo then you should get him neutered and find him a suitable lady friend.. Bunnies like to be in groups as they can get lonely.. Keep us informed..
Thanks for the responce, and I will.

I own many gerbils, and with every pet I own, I like to try and keep them in pairs or groups whenever possible.

I have also book marked that rabbit site for information.

Is there any breed of Bunny that may work out better as a friend and a pet? I like cuddily pets
I will most likely end up getting one from an SPCA, but if there is a better breed to keep my eyes open for I would like to know.
Bo is not cuddly, and he's more into doing what he wants to do then being pet and cuddled. Will this change once he's neutered?

Thanks again!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 02:50 PM

Just be careful with thinking that if you get another rabbit that they will get along. I adopted Harry, a neutered male, to keep Charlie, my spayed female, company, but neither of them would have it. They now live happily side by side, so you have to make sure you have the room to care for two rabbits, instead of one. A single rabbit can also be happily kept on its own. If it has enough toys and attention, it will be very happy with being alone. Good luck.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 05:48 PM

Natalie has some good advice.. Best make sure they get on if you are getting another one! Good luck!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplebunny
Natalie has some good advice.. Best make sure they get on if you are getting another one! Good luck!
So what would be a process to find out if two rabbits get along before you end up taking one home?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 05:58 PM

Well if you get Bo, then take him to the pet shop or wherever you may get the other, and introduce them.. Let them sniff around each other and see what happens.. This is what I did with my last buns.. I have 4 that live together although not happily all the time, they do get over their differences..
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 06:17 PM

Sometimes it is just luck. You can't always take your existing rabbit to pick out the new friend, so you just have to let luck decide, or if you can't do that, not get one at all. It's a matter of patience, time, and room.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

I would never reccomend a gerbil live on it's own, being there are so social and can become depressed without a buddy.
Are rabbits easily kept on there own without becoming depressed? I know this rabbit allready live alone.

Also, what about a Rabbit and a Guinea Pig? I thought i had seen something that said they can be housed together, can they?
And if so is it like a Cat & Dog thing were it usually only works if they are brought up together at a young age?

And if i was able to take Bo to an adoption center to 'meet' another bunny, will they usually show whether or not they like each other right away? or would this be something that takes time, and the animals will need to get used to each others smells through a split cage first?

thansk for all the replies!

Last edited by andreaS15; 09-20-2005 at 06:42 PM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 12:22 PM

Well i can't tell you anything for sure- but may i share my story- i got a spayed female bunny and had her for 4 months before i finally decided she needed a friend- even though she was perfectly happy on her own- i couldn't shake that nagging feeling that she'd be happier with a buddy to snuggle with. so- i got another spayed female- with such high hopes! my first bunny was around 7 months at this time and my new bunny was around 3 or 4 months. well... here i am almost a year later and they still HATE eachother! my new bunny was willing to be frineds- but my original bunny would have none of it! she still tries to attack and i believe she would kill her if she got in direct contact with her!

now- you might have a better chance since both of your bunnies will be introduced in new terrirory- but i'd really recommend trying to get your new bunny at the same time you bring Bo home, that way they can explore thier new territory together- and neither will have the upper hand. and i'd really recommend getting a female friend for Bo.

but most importantly- even though my bunnies aren't friends- i would never change getting either of them. even though THEY"D both be happier if they were the only rabbit in the house- i love them both so much that it makes me so happy just to be around either of them. it's a little more work than i had originally thought it wold be- but well worth it. so i think even if you get two and they don't get along you won't regret having either of them, as long as you have the space to keep two seperated rabbits.

i can't deny that my first bunny would have been happier if i had just left well enough alone and kept her a single rabbit but my newer bunny sure is happy she got a loving home that spoils her!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply Fane81, I will definetly have to take that into consideration before I decide if Bo's next home is with me or not.

Another question, with feed and hay what does a Rabbit cost you per month?
Are they expencive pets?
I don't feel my cousin feeds Bo enough greens, So I would want him to have a run in the (untreated) lawn and such, is this ok? Can I make him a play pen that is placed in the grass?
And again, what Type of hay is ok to feed him, and are they like guinea pigs, should they have it 24/7?

Thanks everyone.... I know i have alot of questions.. heck it takes me a month just to pick out the right pair of jeans LOL, nevermind taking on the life and well-being of an animal.

Thanks again.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 08:07 PM

I have 4 bunnies and they dont cost that much to feed and water.. I give them dry food, water and hay every day, you can use meadow hay or something similar.. I give them veggies every few days, these include carrots, cabbage in moderation, curly kale, sweetcorn, brussell sprouts, broccolli, swede and anything else that you think they may like.. Apples, pears and strawberries are also liked by some bunnies.. I dont give mine all those at one time, I alternate what veggies they have.. I estimate that my 4 cost less than 20 ($35) per month and that includes their litter pellets too..
Remember the added expense of vet bills and if you choose to have them vaccinated each year that costs too.. Mine have all been spayed/neutered as I feel that it makes a happier pet.. Also females who do not breed are at a higher risk of getting cancer of the reproductive system, so that is another thing to consider..
Keep us informed of what you choose to do..

Tags
dry food, guinea pig, neutered male, pet shop, split cage, timothy hay