Is this something to be concerned about? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Question Is this something to be concerned about?

Ive been noticing lately that sometimes when Smudge jumps up to the shelf on his cage, he only gets his front paws on it, and misses it. I saw him do it twice when the bottom of his cage was just plastic, so I put a rug in half of his cage to give him more traction. I hadnt seen him miss it since, but really early this morning (He woke me up at 6:00 AM, LOL! He lives in my room now :]) I saw him miss it again. His shelf is only about a foot high, and I know he can easily jump ALOT higher than that, so I think he is either just underestimating the distance, or isnt getting good traction. Is this something to be concerned about? I dont want him getting hurt, especially since hes getting fixed in about 2 weeks. I might be able to lower the shelf, but it would be kinda hard to do in that cage. Any advice?
Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 03:17 PM
Rodentologist

How old is Smudge? Sorry, I don't remember off the top of my head.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Hes a little over 5 1/2, but he acts like hes 2 LOL.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Rodentologist

He's probably right at that cusp where he's not as spry and young as he used to be, and may still be trying to take leaps that his younger self probably never had issue with

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Hmm... But he easily jumped the 2 feet onto my bed this morning multiple times, and last week when me dog barked and scared him, he jumped over a foot high barrier and onto the 3rd step of my stairs, wich had to be 4 feet.
That might be the issue tho, I guess. Im just having a hard time accepting my lil boy is getting a little older Thanks Jennicat. And Ill try to come up with a way to lower that shelf.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

Hmm...keep in mind too that rabbits see diffrently from humans. They have a blind spot right in front of their noses, are farsighted, and don't have very good depth perception. Maybe he just doesn't always judge right how high he needs to jump to get onto the shelf?

You could try lowering it or building him a ramp, if there is enough space in the cage.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Yeah, I think it might be more because of that than his age. Thanks
Do you think he could hurt himself though? Ill lower the shelf tomarrow, but Im just kinda worried. He LOVES his shelves, so Im hoping I can make it safer for him.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 09:27 PM
Rodentologist

Yeah, the older guys still have plenty of jumping power whenever they want up somewhere! My last two fosters, Bob and Bess (who were 7), could easily make it onto the bed and the couch (despite my best efforts at keeping them otherwise :>) but both had problems in the cage going up to levels. I think the more enclosed space was just a bit more awkward, and that bigger, open jumps didn't give them quite so much trouble. I eventually removed all their shelves and just gave them a giant 2x5 with a flat floorplan.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Do you think he could hurt himself though? Ill lower the shelf tomarrow, but Im just kinda worried. He LOVES his shelves, so Im hoping I can make it safer for him
I'm not really sure? I've never had shelves without using ramps for them to get on the shelves. What is the shelf made of? Maybe try lowering it then keep an eye on him and see if that helps any then take it from there?

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 12:50 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

How high is the top from the shelf, he may have issues trying to jump between the shelf and the top, if he is trying not to hit the top when he jumps he could under jump the shelf. (i really hope this makes sense!)

[/CENTER]

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

That makes sense, Jennicat. I guess it would be easier to jump if he had more of a running start... I dont have the option of a large cage like yours though- I dont think theres even that much space left in my room LOL! I should post pics... My big zoo in my tiny bedroom pathetically funny
I measured it, and its 15 inches (I thought it was lower than that). I covered the shelf with fleece like this: (I took out the lower shelf... It was bothering me)

And I dont really understand Kendalle, LOL

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 06:14 PM
Part of the Pack

I think it is probably a traction issue. We are going through the same thing right now too...but we can't use carpet for traction because of chewing issues. If Lucky tries to go up too fast he slips on the plastic and wipes out. He has absolutely no problem getting up on the couch though. We have just put in some safety tape (used on stairs, wooden wheel chair ramps, skateboard decks ...for traction) it is kind of gritty and I hope they don't eat it and I am not sure how well you can clean it. So far it is working for him. I was wondering too if they are worried they will hit their heads on the top of the cage (stairs) and not judge their jumps too well....then again...Lucky is 5 1/2 years old too...hmmm!!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

I think it might be a little of both- age and traction issues. Smudge hasnt slipped since I made this thread though, so I guess it just happens every once in a while.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 07:44 PM
Adolescent Pup

Ahhhh Smudge is so cute - I agree alittle of both problems.
You said, you keep him in your room right now - is he quiet most of the night - does he sleep when you do?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Carlee~
He is OK during the night. I give him his food right before I go to bed tho, so all I hear is "munch munch munch munch", and thats usually the worst of it. Thats my fault tho LOL. If hes feeling really hyper that day, sometimes he thumps or does obnoxious loud-ish things, but IMO its not that bad. But then again, almost all my pets live in my room, and I can sleep through pretty much anything!
If you keep you bun in your room, just make sure you use a bowl and not a bottle for water. Otherwise you will wake up every time your rabbit takes a drink.

Tags
rabbit shelf