spaying lone female rabbit - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

spaying lone female rabbit

do you guys have your female rabbits spayed? i remember reading somewhere that it is important... but i dont remember why or where i read it. anyone here know if its neccisarry to spay a lone female rabbit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 02:34 PM

Here's the thing -- The main reason behind spaying female rabbits has to do with the risk of ovarian cancer. It seems that ovarian and reproductive cancers are very common in female rabbits that do not breed. Spayed females appear to have a reduced chance of having to deal with this.

HOWEVER, the surgery itself is often dangerous as most small animals do not respond predictably to anesthesia.

If you are considering getting your bunny spayed, I would first check out vets. If you cannot find a vet who has performed the operation more than a couple times with a high success rate, then you may be better of leaving her unspayed.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 04:49 PM

I have my females done, just as a precaution as there is a risk of cancer, and I dont breed from mine.... I also get the male ones done, as I feel they become nicer pets, less aggressive...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 05:20 PM

If i'm not mistaken, there is a higher success rate of small animal surgery in the UK than there is in North America, however.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 08:01 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvetrabbit
If i'm not mistaken, there is a higher success rate of small animal surgery in the UK than there is in North America, however.
I havent heard of that, but thanks for the info..
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 08:37 PM

I think it's also something that is done more often -- probably why the success rate is higher, even if only marginally. A lot of people here didn't use to consider spaying and neutering small animals. Heck, it's difficult convincing some people to spay or neuter their cats and dogs let alone small animals!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

i have contacted a vet who this year alone has done 12 rabbit spays (i know thats not too much, but where i live i feel lucky to even know of a vet who EVEN sees rabbits)
she told me that all were sucsessful. they sure do want to charge an arm and a leg! its 180.00 for the spay, and not including pain medician. i think i am going to have her spayed. it just feels so risky!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 01:43 PM

That sounds good. I would feel more comfortable with a vet who has done 12 this year than 12 in their whole career as a vet. Have you checked to see if the vet office has a payment plan? I know that sometimes $180 at once is a lot, even though we love our pets and feel they are worth it. The Spaying procedure is a bit more difficult than a neuter, which is why it will cost more.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 06:44 PM

Good luck and keep us informed..
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

first she is going in for a check up. i havent set the apointment yet because i havent wrote all my work scedual down. i am thinking it will be early next week.