Spaying/Neutering - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Question Spaying/Neutering

Okay the time has come to get the bunnies spayed/neutered, however the ONLY known vet in our area to spay and neuter rabbits is closing down from the 6th-31st of Jan. for inventory, audits, etc....and they are slammed with steralization appts. Anyhow they have agreed to fit Mr.Lilly in before they close down and will do the girls in Feb. Now seeing this is our first time ever owning bunnies or even spaying/neutering them, what is the best way to go about this? Should we seperate Mr.Lilly from the girls while he recovers, should we put a cage spacer in, or should we just let him be?
All advice is well appreciated.
If anybody is curious Mr.Lilly is now about 5 months old, Honey is about the same age and Egypt is about 4 months old, both girls will be getting spayed in Feb. as I mentioned above. We wanted to get all 3 done together, but this just isn't going to happen right now, so we figured it would be best to at least get Mr.Lilly done first as they could only do one bunny right now, and besides they are fitting in our foster dog and Jessie as well. Mr.Lilly will be getting neutered on Wednesday!
Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 03:33 PM

I heard that neutered males should be apart of un-fixed females for about 1 week.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyWife97
Okay the time has come to get the bunnies spayed/neutered, however the ONLY known vet in our area to spay and neuter rabbits is closing down from the 6th-31st of Jan. for inventory, audits, etc....and they are slammed with steralization appts. Anyhow they have agreed to fit Mr.Lilly in before they close down and will do the girls in Feb. Now seeing this is our first time ever owning bunnies or even spaying/neutering them, what is the best way to go about this? Should we seperate Mr.Lilly from the girls while he recovers, should we put a cage spacer in, or should we just let him be?
All advice is well appreciated.
If anybody is curious Mr.Lilly is now about 5 months old, Honey is about the same age and Egypt is about 4 months old, both girls will be getting spayed in Feb. as I mentioned above. We wanted to get all 3 done together, but this just isn't going to happen right now, so we figured it would be best to at least get Mr.Lilly done first as they could only do one bunny right now, and besides they are fitting in our foster dog and Jessie as well. Mr.Lilly will be getting neutered on Wednesday!
Thanks again
Hmmm, I'm not sure Kim. Neuters are a lot easier than spays. Mojave was pretty much totally recovered the same day he was neutered. I don't think Mr. Lilly needs to be separated, but I'm not sure. Maybe Carmen will know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 04:31 PM
Alika

There's more than one way to perform a spay/neuter. It depends probably on the surgery/technique used. I would ask your vet for after care specifics.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl
Hmmm, I'm not sure Kim. Neuters are a lot easier than spays. Mojave was pretty much totally recovered the same day he was neutered. I don't think Mr. Lilly needs to be separated, but I'm not sure. Maybe Carmen will know?
Veggiegirl, Its not a matter of being easier. The reason to seperate a neutered male from a un-fixed female is because they remain fertile up to 4 days after getting fixed.

NavyWife97, you can have the right info on this website: The only thing on that website is that they say to seperate males for about 4 weeks. But I heard one week is enough. You can ask your vet.
http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/neutleaf.htm

They say this: "If you have two rabbits.....If you have two rabbits of the same sex living together, have them neutered at the same time and keep them together. If you have a male and a female, you need to be a bit more careful. Male rabbits remain fertile for up to 4 weeks after castration. Females must be kept away from males for about 14 days after being spayed. It's best to keep them separate (but in adjacent cages) except when you can supervise them very closely."

Last edited by Sandra; 01-03-2005 at 05:06 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 10:17 PM

Hi Kim,
In my experience...both rabbits did NOT want to play at all the day they were neutered...but by day two, they were hopping all over the place including on top of their houses and shelves. I would separate him for the first night, but after that depending on how active he is, you could probably put him back in with the girls (especially if he's already in with them) However, if he's not in with the girls now, I would keep him separated for a couple of weeks before introducing them.

Also, you do not need to take away food and water the night before surgery like you have to do with cats and dogs. Bring his water bottle/bowl and his normal food to the vet's with you when you drop him off. Many times they won't release rabbits until they are eating, so he'll need it. If they do send him home and he doesn't feel like eating, you can squeeze from FRESH pineapple juice onto his hay to encourage him to eat. I didn't have that problem with Dutchie (he's a pig) but for Lucky we had to buy a fresh pineapple. Granted we only used it for the juice but the kids ended up eating the rest of it.
Anyway, he should do fine. Let us know how it goes (and Dutchie says NOT to give him a pink blanket or towel...it makes them feel like sissys)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 10:24 PM

Great advice Mandie! Lol at the sissy part!

Quote:
I would separate him for the first night, but after that depending on how active he is, you could probably put him back in with the girls (especially if he's already in with them)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 04:59 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Well see when Rodger was neutered he had stitches...and we did not want him playing with our other bunny at the time and pulling his stitches so he was seperated the whole time. any animal that goes home with stitches we advise to keep away from the other animals the whole time the stitches are in. If you guys don't surture after a rabbit neuter (we don't with cat neuters, but all other neuters get them) then I'd wait until the fourth day, or until he was feeling and acting like himself again! They generally recover pretty quickly....but then so did the girls. With our cats we tell the owners to keep them quiet for 72 hours and then they are fine to do whatever they want. go with your instincts!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.....lots of helpful advice....and @ mandie I'll be sure he doesn't get a pink blankie.
We are probably going to put a divider in their current pen, as he is already housed with both girls, and I know we are a bad mommy and daddy for waiting until he is 5 months old as there are chances something could have already happened, but sadly we can only do what we can do when there is available time. I would have loved to have gotten all 3 done at the same time, but that just isn't possible right now, so the girls have to wait until the first week in Feb.
Thanks again for the wonderful advice everyone
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyWife97
We are probably going to put a divider in their current pen, as he is already housed with both girls
I was about to suggest you that, it's a great idea. Please ask your vet how long after the surgery they remain fertile.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Will do but please know we are not in the western medical field over here, and they do things ALOT different around here!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 12:58 PM
Playful Pup

I thought while we're on the topic of bunny neutering, can I ask something?

My bunny, Mitsy, is a 1 yr old male Lionhead. I wondered if there was any need in getting him neutered as the method used isn't as safe as the US method (calcium injections, I believe). He is very placid, never aggrssive like my old rabbits were and he is very inquisitive but he is timid if you open the hutch door and try to stroke him. He is also impossible to hold as he kicks you, but only to get away.

The only reason I saw was because he used to live with Guiness, my male guinea pig who is about the same age. However, we had to seperate them and buy a large cage for Guiness as they were both jumping on each other.

Is there any need in getting him neutered, as I'm worried about the safety of the anesthetic/operation as I've had bunnies die after going to the vets before. The vets around here seem to not care about the animals very much, but I may be saying that because of what happened to my other bunnies.

Last edited by H'ey; 01-09-2005 at 01:00 PM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 03:39 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I'd be looking for a vet that deals with exotics and get him done. There is no reason for a healthy rabbit to die why they are getting neutered.....and there are many benefits to getting a rabbit neutered! I know there are a few people on pt from the uk so hopefully they can give you the name of one!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy

Tags
guinea pig, neutered male