Spaying rabbits.... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Spaying rabbits....

Does anyone have a rough guess on how much it would cost to spay a rabbit? has anyone ever spayed their rabbit?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Honestly, it's hard to tell because it depends on where you live, what vet you go to, etc. I've seen it cost anywhere from $100-$400...but that doesn't help, huh?

I'm about to get Fiona spayed so when I call for an estimate I'll let ya know...I want to make her an appointment for Febuary.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 04:55 PM

You're kind of close to me...

I had my boys neutered and that runs about $75 around here, whereas for a female it runs closer to $100 - of course make sure you find a rabbit savvy vet!!

Good Luck!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

We just had Oliver and Ophelia done. We were charged $140.00 for Oliver's nip and $180.00 for Ophelia's tuck. It really depends on the area. Maybe it would help if I told you that the prescreening blood work was $39 and the metacam shot was $17. A normal visit for them runs $50 each. You can call around and compare prices just make sure in the end you have a bunny savvy vet do the procedure. Maybe contact your local SPCA and see if they can help. When we picked up Oliver and Ophelia the girl said they would spay and neuter them but there was only a 50/50 chance they would make it through the procedure because they were not very bunny savvy there.
Please let us know how much it turns out to be. It would be interesting to see the variations in the different areas.
I am glad that once it was done it never had to be done again. And that young bunnies only need to see the vet once a year.
Their food bill is bad enough!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathydip
Their food bill is bad enough!
I hear you!!!

Creepie would eat as much as the other three put together if I let him!!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

the reason I was asking was that I was going to get my rat spayed and I have been searching around and I got estimates that scared me a little...207bucks, however I also started to ask about spaying rabbits and it was similar in price, I just wanted to make sure that I wasnt being naive about how much it should cost, I found one vet that wants 175 and since this price doesnt seem that much different than the prices that you guys are quoting, I think I will go ahead with the spaying, Im spaying to reduce the risk of mammary cancer, it reduces cancer in general by 80% so Im willing to try..thanks

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
Honestly, it's hard to tell because it depends on where you live, what vet you go to, etc. I've seen it cost anywhere from $100-$400...but that doesn't help, huh?

I'm about to get Fiona spayed so when I call for an estimate I'll let ya know...I want to make her an appointment for Febuary.
Definately cant wait on the update and that estimate..thanks

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 04:23 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

If rats are like bunnies you definitely should spay. I know that female bunnies are very prone to cancer. I read things that said they are likely to develop it by the time they are 4 years old. I am not sure if those articles were just trying to scare people or if it can be that bad but we didn't want to take a chance.
Jewels - I was told to give them a 1/4 cup each a day of pellets. Well I fill it in the morning before I go to work. when I get home the dishes are empty or almost empty so I fill them again. Before I got to bed I top them off. They also have hay which I see them eating. And they get salads every night. They are not fat though. Maybe they are that active? Maybe it's just because they are babies? I just cannot stand seeing their bowl empty.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 03:34 AM

I'm also interested in spaying rabbits.I have a male AND female.
I also need to wait for the "rabbit vet" to go the that vet clinic.
I swear they only look @ dogs& cats now.Once a month a vet visits that will look at rabbits& birds.That is INSANE
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 04:13 AM

This thread reminds me of the sad experience I had for my girl. She died on the operation table. Of course we were very angry at the vet then. Since then, I have consulted several vets here. Here is the clinical cancer percentage for dogs, cats, and buns. Dogs: 1/4; Cats: 1/10; Buns; 1/7 (between dogs & cats). To neuter a male is easier than to spay a female (the latter needs an in-body operation, takes higher risk and thus costs more). Personally, I would not recommend you to get a bun neutered or spayed if you can give your buns a "clean" place. But if you still want to neuter or spay your buns (do get a realllllly savvyyyyyy bunnyyyyyy vet), I would recommend you to do it until the buns are 1.5 yrs old. Buns need hormones to healthily develop. Early neutering or spaying is harmful to the buns. Here, it costs about 75 US dollars to spay a female and about 45 US dollars to neuter a male. Hope everything goes well for your boy and your girl.

Tags
rabbit savvy vet, vet clinic, vet visit, vet visits