starting to litterbox train!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Smile starting to litterbox train!!

so, I'm just starting to littertrain rencia (it's a little late, she's 4 or 5), and I've gotten lots of great tips on here, but I figure I can keep you all updated in case I have problems and so you can correct me if I mess up!! Her last owner didn't have any luck training her, but I've trained most of my family's pets and had great luck. So, here's the set up: I had a smaller litter box from my ferret (it's been cleaned) that's a few inches longer than her and about twice as wide as her (it's rectangular). I lined it with newspaper to help absorb extra urine and then poured some litter in there. I added some hay to one end, too. It's also near her food and water and hay, since they like to eat and poo at the same time...does this sound good so far??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 10:58 PM
Adolescent Pup

Smile

to help aid in the prosses try two things that I can vouch for.

First: find out what corner that your bun uses the most and place one of the litter pans corners in that corner, put some already soiled and a little wet bedding in the pan, making sure to put its in the same corner that the bun normally goes in.

Second: do not use the same bedding for the rest of the cage. I used carpet remnant for a while till we moved then I used older table clothes folded or older towels that way you can wash them and reuse. clean the pan often(every other day depending on the size of the pan) and pick up any stray poo and put it back in the pan. My bun will only pee in the pan but still has a proble with stray poos. I think he may be lazy and it just happens. but normaly he gets both in the pan.

Good luck and here is a ref. for you not much on training w/ the pan but a good ref non the less; Rabbits USA an annual Pub. about $7.50 but worth the information. Any who hope this all helps.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 04:49 PM
Part of the Pack

yes, what you are doing sounds good.

especially with putting the hay in the front of the litterbox- bunnies love to nibble at the hay while they do their business.

Tags
litter box, litter pan