store visits - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

store visits

I am feeling sorry for Honey. Since he has had to stay in the house, he has gotten little exercise. There is no place to let him run in our tiny house because of the dogs. My room is small, and his cage takes up most of the floor space. I let him run on top of my single bed for exercise. I was wondering if it would be too stressful if I put him on a leash and to him to places like PetSmart for exercise? I don't want to take him outside for exercise, since he is allergic to something outside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Rodentologist

I think that it would be pretty stressful, and would also put her at risk since people have dogs in there. Also a lot of the diseases that small animals carry would be transmissible to rabbits.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 04:21 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

i would never do it. much too stressful for the average rabbit. and its just a bad idea to bring a bunny anywhere where there might be dogs that you dont know.

can you not put the dogs away? My rabbits run free with my dogs and my dogs do great. but when i first got Lynn she was too wild for them. so I just put her outside to play, or put her in her crate with a kong while the buns were out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

When no one is home, I have tried letting him run in the kitchen, but the floors are slippery, and he just sits under a chair. He loves my bed and does binkies on it. I put an old quilt on top, which he tries to dig through. I miss watching him run and play outside. Oh well, maybe I can get rid of some furniture in my room, but that will take some time. At least he has a large cage.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 07:43 AM
Playful Pup

i suggest you try and get your dogs used to your rabbit....its not fair on the rabbit having him cooped up in his cage and your bed all the time he needs grass or hay and fresh air........i suggest correcting the dogs any time they go near the rabbit and have them get used to the fact that no matter how jealous they are the rabbits isnt going anywhere....try sitting on a couch with your bunny on your lap and have the dogs lie beside you...pet them so there not jealous of the rabbit as most times dogs hatered for rabbits in the house is due to them not getting the same attention as before...let me no if you try this out and what result you get...you also need to be firm with the dogs so they no that annoying your rabbit is not right .....it wont happen overnight but eventually you wll have a bunny and dogs who get on well together my dogs get on very well wth all my rabbits and i used the ways i just showed you and they worked....good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My lil Peatree [bearded dragon] ...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I was able to get my dog used to Honey, but the other dog is untrustworthy. She is labled a potentally dangerous dog, for escaping our fence and ripping the ear off of another dog. She also killed my cockatiel, when she was left unsupervised in the house for only 3 hours, because a door was left open to the room. Honey has a large dog cage with 2 locks on the cage door, and I put a second level in the cage, so he does get some exercise. When the dog is outside, sometimes I bring Honey out on a leash to sit with the family on the sofa.

One of the biggest problems is that one family member is developmentally disabled. I can tell her not to let the dog in, and 5 minutes later she won't remember what I said, and Honey will be in danger. I did manage to get the dog used to my cats, but that took about 3 months. That was 3 years ago. Occasionally the cats will run in front of the dog, and the dog still will go after the cats. I also thought I trained the dog to be around my cockatiel. I was proved wrong when I came home and found my bird out of his cage and dead on the floor. That dog makes me a nervous wreck, and I don't think I will ever trust her around Honey.

It is not in my power to get of the dog, because she belongs to the family member that owns the house. I am lucky she allows me to have my animals.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 05:00 AM
Playful Pup

hope it all works out and if you keep trying mabey it will be ok but never leave your bunny unsupervised with the dogs espically.....keep trying and im sure youll get major improvements ....keep us up to date with it please

My lil Peatree [bearded dragon] ...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 10:56 AM
Betta Bomb

Hmm, this isnt fair for the bunny to have such a rambled and random free time schedule. Maybe tie the dog up in the house or seperate room?? Kennel? My bunny is a little nervous on slippery floor but I bought a floor mat from Wal-Mart for like 15$ with no skid on one side and carpet on the other. Acacia runs back and forth. Cardboard works wonders as well. Baby gates are a life saver!!
When I moved back in with mom and my dog Coco I had something Coco never seen before! They hopped to and fro and smelled amazing!! He wanted to play with them and each time a bunny ran away or he tipped-nudged them too hard I would correct him. Then praise him accordingly. The only time he goes after them now is when Illusion gets too excited and I shout at him. When I call to Illusion, Coco knows to go stop him immediatley and with the added bunny excitement he might chase them then. This doesnt happen too often but Im using it as an example for you and Honey.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I have another dog cage. I am going to set it up in the living room so that the dog can get used to having Honey around. Honey will only be in there when I can supervised the situation. If the dog gets too excited around Honey, I will squirt her with a water gun. That is sort of how I trained her to be around the cats. With the cats, I kept the dog on a leash in the living room, and when she got too excited around them and displayed her hunting instincts, she got it with the water gun. Then there was a lot of praise and treats when she was calm around them.

Finding room for rabbits to run in the house has always been a problem. That is one of the main reasons most of my rabbits are outside. My hutch bunnies have large covered runs, and a more mentally stimulating environment. There is also a problem with family members and allergies, but meds seem to be keeping that under control for now. That could change once I allow Honey to spend more time in the living room.

I do have a pet playpen, but those playpens aren't much bigger than the big dog cages. Maybe if I keep exposing him to the kitchen floor, he will get used to it. I do have a few rugs I put down, but he just sits under a chair. I am taking my time to acclimating him to different things in the house, I don't want to stress him out too much, so I am doing things in little steps. I worry that with his allergy problems, his immune system might be compromised. Right now he is getting used to my cats, and they are getting used to him. They are both afraid of each other, and very curious. Honey may not have a lot of freedom, but I am sure he feels safe. More freedom will do him no good if it comes with added fear.

Tags
socializing rabbits