Strange Behaviour - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Hi,

I'm new to the forums and received 2 mini lops as a christmas present around 5 weeks ago. They're only around 12 weeks old.

One of my rabbits (Sparkles) is showing strange behaviour. She tends to jump and twitch a lot and shakes pretty badly whilst you hold her.
I was thinkiong it could be fleas.. because she scratches her head a lot as well..

The other rabbit (Houdini) has been getting her 'waste' stuck to her fur and it has been black and clumped over the last week.

Because I've never owned rabbits before (only guinea pigs and birds) I'm not sure whats wrong or how to go about it..

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Kaye
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 05:08 PM

I doubt it is fleas unless they are housed outside. Sounds like normal behavior to me. My Ollie an Jett jump all the time, its called a binky. Ollie doesn't like being held so much so he wiggles in my arms until I put him down. My boys both scratch them selves all over, rabbits are meticulous groomers, scratching and licking every where.

What are you feeding your rabbits? That can be the cause of the poos getting stuck to the fur. Also are they long or short haired? and how offten do you groom them?

Katy
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 05:19 PM
Part of the Pack

Hi Kaye, Welcome to Paw Talk...it's very addictive. We love pictures!!!

Sparkles sounds like how Lucky was behaving. He would twitch and scratch too. He had the start of an ear infection...redness and wax build up that we had to administer drops twice a day.

Houdini also may have some "morning poops" stuck to her. They are a bit more sticky and if she did not ingest it she may have just walked or sat on it. Lucky too just recently had that. The vet shaved it off for me while we were there. Watch the poops closely because it is a great indicator if a rabbit is ill. Rabbit illnesses can be fatal if not treated promptly.

If you check out my earlier posts (I joined end of Dec.) I received some great info. from everyone.

I tried posting this before...I hope it doesn't show up twice!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 06:39 PM

Hi and welcome to pt
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Will It Ever Change?

welcome! best wishes with your buns

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 07:23 PM
Title Thief Victim

Welcome..I hope your bun bun's are fine.

Carissasaurus Rex
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 10:26 AM

I have two. It sounds like the jumping and shaking is just binkies (bunny dance). If your little one is shaking it's head a lot you might want to watch that. It could be an ear infection which could lead to head tilt. Or it may be fur mites even if they are inside.

As far as the poo, be careful what you feed them. At that age they should be on hay and pellets. Keep the hay flowing it keeps them regular. Go to rabbit.org (House Rabbit Society). They can give you just about all the info you need.

They are extremely intelligent little creatures so be sure and enjoy them.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks for everyones help I'm pretty sure what sparkles was doing was not a binkie but if her she looks to be really sick I'll get her to the vet

And thanks for the advice on what to feed them. I've been feeding them a few greens as well but that's not good?

Thanks again and thanks for the welcome
Kaye
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 01:14 PM

There little tummies can't take greens at their age. Also don't give them cold water that will upset them also. When you do start feeding green stay away from iceberg lettuce. Go for the dark lettuce. There is a list on the House Rabbit website.

Keep us informed.

Tags
ear infection, guinea pig, house rabbit, house rabbit society, mini lop, mini lops, rabbit society