Strawberry tops? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

Strawberry tops?

Can rabbits have the top parts of strawberries? the green leafy part we always take off? i would assume its better to give them more of the top green bits than the fruit itself? anyone know?

Also they have a new oganic salad mix at the grocery store that looks really good, and i was thinking how convient it would be if we could give the rabbit that, when were short on time... but ive never even heard of some of the stuff in it, so i looked it up online to see what all was in it and heres a list..
Organic baby lettuces (red & green romaine, red & green oak leaf, lollo rosa, tango), organic red & green chard, organic mizuna, organic arugula, organic frisée, organic radicchio.

anyone know if any of this would be harmful to rabbits? all there salads looked really good, and seem alot fresher than other produce..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 03:44 PM
Will It Ever Change?

i dunno about the health of rabbits, but i know raddichio is rather bitter, at least in my experience

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 04:50 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Strawberry tops are fine .

And as far as I know the mix should be ok. Lots of people feed those mixes to rabbits and I have before. But I think mine was different.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

i put a piece of strawberry in his dish and he wouldnt eat it, i held it out to him and he nibbled it a little but wasnt sure, what a bum. hes so stubborn when it comes to trying new foods, even if there yummy.. i think the first veggie we have him was cilontro and it took like a week to get him to even nibble it, now he loves it.

next time we goto the store maybe we'll get him one of those salad mixes, im intrested to try it myself, it looks yummy i think if we could find him a good mix like that as a base meal then mix in some other odds and ends he would get a healthier mix of veggies.. rather than just a few kinds at a time

My Furry Family
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 09:01 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I used the bag mixes with Tabby. I got turned off when they began to have the problems last fall with the bagged spinach and I thought there was also a bagged salad mix that had issues. I thought that maybe the bag allowed the bacteria to build up. Nothing ever came out about that though.
I think the bags are a great base - like you said. They do offer so much variety that with only one bunny would be hard to do with unbagged veggies. With 3 buns I go through a lot of veggies so I need to buy 3 different things at a time. I could probably use 4 types at a time.
Ophelia never wants to try anything new either. She is so suspicious of new things. She was even suspicious of bananas!
There was one thing she tried right away and I think it was a peach.
Oliver is usually my good boy who will try anything. He has been a bit off the last few days. He is still eating just not like before.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 04:08 AM

re: organic mix

That sounds like the same stuff I feed my buns. The label says Earthbound Farms organic mixed baby greens. I give them that every day as the base of their salad then add other veggies and sometimes some fruit. It's very convenient and I like the fact that there are so many different greens in it.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebell
re: organic mix

That sounds like the same stuff I feed my buns. The label says Earthbound Farms organic mixed baby greens. I give them that every day as the base of their salad then add other veggies and sometimes some fruit. It's very convenient and I like the fact that there are so many different greens in it.

yup earthbound farms, same stuff

My Furry Family
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 03:37 PM

My dogs like strawberry tops. My guinea pig liked them too, but I don't think the rabbits cared for them much.

The mix sounds ok, I've gotten mixes like that before...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 08:58 PM

I feed the same brad as you guys. i give it to everyone ~ the ducks, chickens, goats, rabbits, the dog, even the goldfish! there are different things in there that you cant usually get in bulk at the stores. i also have given our rabbits whole strawberries. im sure if there were out and about outside they would nibble them.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 11:49 AM

Bertie is such a fuss pot eater. I tried those bags of mixed leaves thinking it would be really good for him & he just wasen't interested. He will eat the strawberry tops, but not the strawberry & he dosen't seem to like any fruit at all.
Maybe some of you could let me know if it's essential that he has fruit?

I'm very lucky to work p/t in a fruit & veg shop, so I get lots of greens for free/cheap. If you have one near you, ask them to save a bag for you. Bertie likes parsley, mint, coriander, spinach (in small doses) the leaves from the cauliflowers (but not the head), carrot tops and broccolli.

I guess all bunnys don't like the same stuff, but I don't know if I should be concerned about his picky eating.

Tags
guinea pig