Stuck in the cage :( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Stuck in the cage :(

Poor Flash is confined to his cage for the next few days.

I left him at the vet over the weekend when I went out of town, and I figured that was a good time to have him neutered while he was there. I picked him up Monday morning, and they showed me his surgical scar and told me to check it every day to make sure everything's healing ok. They also said not to let him run or hop in a large area until the end of the week, so I can't let him out of his cage for play time.

He's just a young guy with lots of energy, so I usually let him out to play for half an hour in the morning while I get ready for work and a couple of hours in the evening. He usually runs around the living room, hops on the couch, lets me chase him around, etc. The poor little guy is going to go stir crazy stuck in that cage all week.

I did put extra toys in the cage that aren't normally in there, to give him something to do. He's got a phone book in there now, since it's his favorite toy, though it takes up a lot of space in his cage.

The poor little guy keeps trying to chew through the metal bars on his cage door to get out whenever I'm around, to let me know that he wants to come out. He's not mad at me for not letting him out, though. When I reached in to pet him, he was all cuddly and was clearly enjoying the attention.

--Fromper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 03:23 PM
Oily Chickenspew

sending get well vibes to him!!

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 03:37 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Poor little fella! Did they say he can be out for supervised time? Maybe keeping him away from anything high that he could jump up on?
I bet time would go faster with some extra baby carrots....

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

He's always supervised when he's out of his cage - there's too much trouble he can get into otherwise. The problem is he'll want to run, and I really don't have any place where I can let him out without him being able to do laps at full speed and jump around while he's at it. Usually, I just give him free run of the living room, as long as I'm there to keep an eye on him, but I can't do that now.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 04:47 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i guess you can hold him and cuddle but i don't know how into that he'd be

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
i guess you can hold him and cuddle but i don't know how into that he'd be
He absolutely hates being picked up. I've been reaching into the cage to pet him, and he seemed to really like the attention, but I know he wants to come out and run. He's just too energetic to be trapped like that. Poor little guy.

--Fromper
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 06:35 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Poor guy. It is hard to keep them still when they have so much energy. Hopefully he will be a quick healer. My boys healed up very quickly.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 11:57 PM
Part of the Pack

Poor little guy! It is so difficult to keep them "quiet". Lucky ended up jumping up on the chair on his third day of recovery. Thankfully he didn't injure himself. We kept him locked up after that. You just can't trust them to not over do it. He will be up and about in no time.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I finally let the little guy out for some play time today, and as expected, the first thing he did was try to break a land speed record crossing the living room. He's been couped up since his surgery Friday, though, so he's had just about a week to heal. The vet said it should be ok to let him out now, even if he does run and jump, though I should keep an eye on him.

Of course, now I'm sick. I've been home from work the last two days with what might be strep throat, so it made it even harder for Flash to stay in his cage. He's used to being let out whenever I'm around. After he played for around 45 minutes this afternoon, I actually had to put him back in the cage while I took a nap. I felt bad about it, but I really needed the rest, and I don't feel safe leaving him out while I'm not there to watch him.

I already promised him at least two hours of solid play time outside his cage this evening, though.

--Fromper
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 11:17 PM
Part of the Pack

Silly bunny. At least you know that he is not in any pain. I hope you are feeling better so that you can give Flash his two hour playtime that you promised. I know how you feel...I have a bug right now too...I had to drag myself up from a four hour nap to make dinner and let the buns out to play. Get well soon!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

We had a pretty good evening. I'm still not feeling 100%, but I was able to let him out for a couple of hours while I ate dinner and watched some TV. He's definitely not in any pain - the biggest problem has been boredom while he's been stuck in the cage.

So we're back to relative normalcy here, and he's as cute, cuddly, and playful as ever.

--Fromper
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 09:23 AM
Newborn Pup

glad to see, i know i will be having to go through the same thing in a couple of months when i get mine fixed.

hope you feel better also
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

I'm glad Flash sounds to be feeling better and I hope you feel better soon too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.