Stupid Question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Stupid Question

Is there an actual difference between bunnies and rabbits? I was talking to the previous owners of my bunny and what I was feeding him, and they said, no no no you must never feed that much! And I said, well that's what I read on the internet from reliable sources to do. They asked if I had looked up rabbit diet or bunny diet and insisted there was a difference. I had probably been looking up rabbit diet but tonight I looked up info on a bunny diet and it was the same recommendations. Is there an actual difference between rabbits and bunnies and their nutritional needs?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 11:57 PM

I am NO bunny/rabbit expert (or anywhere near it!) but my understanding has always been that "bunny" is a cute term for "rabbit." Kind of like how "kitty" is for "cat." I've never heard bunnies and rabbits were seperate species. But, who knows.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 01:45 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

i have no idea, but i'm sure that veggiegirl or carmen (rsbunny) might know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 02:21 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

sounds like the previous owners were pretty misinformed!! Bunny is the cute way of saying rabbit. What are you feeding your bunny/rabbit right now?

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 12:29 PM

Bunnies are definitely NOT rabbits and vice verca, eventhough the terms are very close related. Rabbits are the WILD kind of this species, whereas the term "bunny" refers to the domestic ones.
I hope the above info will help...and of course we all living in apartments have "bunnies" and no "rabbits" for breeding!!!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 07:49 PM

Technically, "rabbit" is the correct term and "bunny" is used for young rabbits, but the terms have become so interchangable that, for practical purposes, there is no real difference. Also, the wild "rabbits" we have in the USA are not even related to our domesticated rabbits. They are hares and cottontails. They are not in the same genus, let alone species, as our domestic rabbit. The domestic rabbit traces back to the European Rabbit.

For curiosity's sake, how much of what were you feeding him that made the previous owners question you?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz
I am NO bunny/rabbit expert (or anywhere near it!) but my understanding has always been that "bunny" is a cute term for "rabbit." Kind of like how "kitty" is for "cat." I've never heard bunnies and rabbits were seperate species. But, who knows.
I would agree with this.

Louise
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellepotter
I would agree with this.

Louise
Me too.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

I am feeding him about 2 cups veggies per day, + hay. this is what I've read to do.

Is this correct?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Just a side note, the previous owners were feeding only pellets and no veggies as they thought the veggies would cause diahhrea.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl
Me too.
I also agree, as far as I know Bunnies and Rabbits are the same, Bunnies being a cute name for Rabbits!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 10:07 PM

How big is your rabbit? feeding recommendations have more to do with how much the rabbit weighs as opposed to just 2 cups veggies a day...for my rabbits, that is too much veggies...they get 1 cup veggies a day, plus 2 tablespoons of rabbit pellets and unlimited hay.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 10:15 PM

Most rabbit pellets have all the nutrients (like vitamins/minerals) that rabbits need. Fresh veggies and hay serve as roughage and as something to help keep the teeth in check, as teeth are continually growing.

If your rabbit is not used to veggies, then they can cause diahhrea, also, you should be carefull WHICH veggies you are feeding, as there are some that are DEFINETLY not good .
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 11:25 AM

Okay, that I could understand. Well, not the whole thing about saying bunnies and rabbits are different (unless they meant bunnies as babies, but that still does not make sense since babies should have restricted veggies). Not all rabbits can handle a lot of veggies, and certainly not all of the recommended veggies can be tolerated by every rabbit. A lot of rabbits have problems with broccoli, yet it is recommended by the House Rabbit Society. Veggies, like any new part of the diet, should always be introduced slowly, and one type at a time.

Personally, I feel that 2 cups of veggies is too much for a lot of rabbits. Some rabbits can handle it, but I have seen many, even ones that were used to the veggies, have problems with it. Each rabbit is an individual, and each one can handle different things and needs different levels of nutrition. Also, 2 cups of veggies along with the needed amount of pellets is just too much intake for a lot of rabbits. They can either get overweight or just not eat it all (meaning they will just pick out their fave foods and won't get a balanced diet).

Also, the HRS DOES recommend feeding pellets at about 1/4 to 1/2 cup per 6 pounds, which is, to be honest, right along the same lines that a breeder feeds. Which begs the question as to why HRS people are often saying that breeders feed way too many pellets, and why breeders say HRS people feed way too few pellets.

Are you feeding any pellets at all? If you are worried about high calcium levels and your bunny being overweight, use timothy pellets rather than alfalfa pellets, but the pellets are important. They contain a balanced mix of the minerals and nutrients needed that might not always be found in the veggies and hay. I feed pellets in the morning and veggies at night, with hay all the time. That way they are hungry for the pellets, and eat their fill of that, then they get their veggies at night so they have had time to get room in their stomachs, but are not so hungry that they go crazy and eat too many of the veggies too fast and get sick. Plus, I have found if I feed the veggies and the pellets at the same time, they just pick out the veggies and ignore the pellets; like a little kid that would rather eat candy than a balanced breakfast. LOL. Though I have had several through the years that have preferred pellets to most veggies.

Tags
house rabbit, house rabbit society, rabbit pellets, rabbit society