Syringe Feeding Antibiotics - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thumbs down Syringe Feeding Antibiotics

Yesterday, Kodo was taken to the vet for his torn toenail. I was given antibiotics to feed with a syringe. I wrestled with him all morning and tried the "bunny burrito" but none of it seemed to work. It looked easy when the vet did it but now I can't seem to do it
What ways do you use to syringe feed medicine to your bunny? any tips? Thanks

Love Kodo too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 04:24 PM
Betta Bomb

Ha, this sort of thing usually never makes bunny happy. I had Akina on antibiotics and meds for a while and my goodness. It never got easy. My suggestion, hold bunny on your lap or have someone else hold him high so he doesn't jump and then pet his head. Talk to him. You can lift up his lip and squirt it in or cover his head with your hand and gently push the syringe in from the side where they don't have large teeth and squirt in quickly. Then praise him and give him a treat. Akina's medicine treat was a raisen. I was quickly forgiven
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 06:13 PM
is a little "special"

I do the same thing Amanda does, but I give Smudge little papaya treats inbetween med squirts. Once he figures out that meds = treats, he doesn't even fight me about it!

One time when he was on meds, he would literally beg for them and steal the syringe afterwards, LOL. He is very food motivated. He wouldn't do that last time though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 07:06 PM
Betta Bomb

LOL Jess!! That's the difference between men and women eh? Hows it going with the little one, sanwolf?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 04:42 PM
Poooooppp!

When Speckle got fixed I had to give her pain meds the same way, my mom would hold her with a towel and I would basically have to force her to take it. One you get it in their mouth they just swallow it, I'm sure they don't like it.. but.. oh well

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Betta Bomb

LOL they DON'T like it!! lol Bunnies are very disapproving about a lot of things!! Even honey metacam and strawberry baytril couldn't convince Akina I wasn't evil. It's been so long since Acacia's been sick I forget how she was taking medicine :/
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 06:43 AM
Adolescent Pup

when benji was on antibiotics not long ago i would squirt a tiny drop above his nose so he was forced to start licking and then i just kept squirting while he was licking and it worked pretty well luckily. He is not a fan of the bunny burrito!

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I'm sorry i wasn't able to respond sooner! I think it's easiest when i hold kodo and my dad gives kodo the antibiotics. Today he barely squirmed and when the syringe was in his mouth he started biting it and he lapped up the medicine. sometimes a little gets around his mouth but he cleans it off himself 8-) Thanks for the advice everyone! Is i me or do rabbits always seem a little slower seconds right after given the antibiotics? Right after kodo eats his meds he just sits down and relaxes.

Love Kodo too
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Adolescent Pup

glad he took it alright! After benji would take his he would constantly tap his front paws on the ground and then lick them and then tap them! it was cute but kind of odd lol.