Taking Jellybean for a walk? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Taking Jellybean for a walk?

Has anyone had experience with those pet store harnesses? Can you really put one on a rabbit and bring him outside?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 09:15 AM
Adolescent Pup

I prefer a cat harness that fits fairly snuggly, but my rabbits go outside all the time. As long as it is snug (not so tight as to constrict, of course), they are very safe on a leash. It is a great way to let a rabbit explore the outdoors without worrying about traffic, predators, etc. If you get snow in your area, some rabbits really love to play in the snow! Mine do!

Miyabita Designs
Affordable, custom, hand-coded websites, plus graphics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Usagi no Tsukiyo
A well of rabbit information

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 10:18 AM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Cat harnesses ate generally better than the "rabbit" ones. The rabbit ones often onlt have velcro to hold it together.

You bunny will probably not like the harness at first. He'll act like it's the worst thing that ever happened to him. So if you get one, put it on him for a short time everyday in his cage until he gets more comfortable with it on. Then have it on when he's out playing in the room. Leave it on a bit longer everyday until he's totally comfy with it. Then you can try taking him outside with it. Make sure it's on fully so he can't escape. Be ready to grab your bunny in case a strange dog or cat comes over. Remember, some bunnies (like mine...) will never like harnesses. But, good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 10:26 AM
Adolescent Pup

Monkey thinks it is a blast, but his half-brother, Mayoke, hated it with a passion! Mayoke would struggle to get away, then would finally just sit on the grass, pressed against the ground, and not move until we came and took the harness off and put him back inside.

Miyabita Designs

Usagi no Tsukiyo

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 02:05 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Sounds like my guys!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 04:28 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I only tried it with Sake, she didn't really like it much...but then again, she doesn't like to be outside at all in general so I dunno...

Puchiko plays in a pen outside...I haven't tried the harness with her yet. I'd need a really small one, as she is a Britannia Petite.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 09:32 AM
Adolescent Pup

Yeah, with britannia petites you really want to make sure you have it on securely. They are fast little things! Nothing gives you better hand-eye coordination than having a britannia in the house, especially if you are trying to get them to pose for show!

Miyabita Designs

Usagi no Tsukiyo

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 03:41 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

So...did you get a harness? I know you really can't try it out in this weather, but how's it going?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 04:43 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyabita
Yeah, with britannia petites you really want to make sure you have it on securely. They are fast little things! Nothing gives you better hand-eye coordination than having a britannia in the house, especially if you are trying to get them to pose for show!
Haha. I know. I get a workout trying to get her back in her cage on some days.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

No I didnt get one yet but I want to try in the future.

Tags
pet store