Tangled fur mess - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

My bunny has sticky poo entagled in his fur. It is really close to his skin. I can not pull it off. Will he eventually chew it off? Normally this is not something we would have noticed as we cannot hold him often. Right now we have to trap him to put in eardrops..wrapping him up like a bunny burito. Then we steal some time to get the kind of snuggles we want from him. We feel so mean because as soon as we put him down...he just starts digging away at his ears because of the drops making him itchy. Maybe in the next 10 days we can turn him into a snuggle bunny. Is there hope?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I would give Tabby bunny butt baths but it does not sound like you can do that with your bun. I know I would be in trouble if it happened with Ophelia or Oliver. They do not like to be handled the way Tabby did.
I would be worried as to why the poo is smooshy. Is he getting enough hay? Too many greens? Maybe it's okay for it to happen some times - others here will know better about that.
Maybe try baby tush wipes when you have him in the burrito for the time being. It is hard to not just grab them and squish them and hug them - isn't it?

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 07:57 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

heh its soo hard not to pick up my rabbit all the time, part of the reason i bought him in the first place was cuz he let me pick him up at the store, i picked him up and cuddled him while walking all around the store, i carried him home, held him while david set up his cage, then put him to bed and he hasnt really let us pick him up since.. maybe it was just a plot to get him out of the bin at the store? Kinda makes me wish i never put him down to begin with.. heh, i love him tho.. maybe after his snip he'll let me hold him..

As for your rabbit, maybe while you have him in the burrito you could hold a damp washcloth on the dirty bits to soften them alittle? i dunno, im sure someone whos been threw this before will be along shortly to help you further..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Angry

I think it is probably one of those morning ones that he did not ingest...sat on it........we have been unable to get the nice green timothy that he is use to and have purchased that yellow junk that he doesn't like...so I think he has not been eating the usual amount. We are checking into a nearby acreage to buy some timothy from them..hopefully he will like it better. We should have done this two years ago...the guy will sell a bale (square) for $5...the pet store charges $8.55 for a bag.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 05:15 PM

I just saw a sign at the local farm that says they have hay. I think I will call and see if they have Timothy grass hay. I heard they have bunnies there. I just have no idea how to store it. Any suggestions? I did read that cardboard boxes are good. We have some of those from Christmas. How will I know when it's not good any longer?

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I think you can store it in anything as long as it can breathe, like a plastic bin with the lid loose. If it sits in the sun, the bin may start to sweat and the moisture may cause it to go moldy. I think hay is good for a long long time as long as it is not moldy.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Today is Lucky's last day for medication. He has been more difficult to catch and even hold in his burrito for his drops. We haven't even been able to check his behind to see if his tangle is still there. His follow-up appointment is coming up...they can check for it if we haven't been able to by then. Instead of being a snuggle bun like I hoped would happen..........he's lost trust in us and stays in his cage a lot or runs away when he is out.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 02:04 PM

I store mine in a large plastic trash can with the lid on but not snapped shut, and I have it in the garage so it stays nice and cool. Hay will stay good for a few months stored like this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 04:53 PM

Thanks for the hay advice.

It will take some time for him to come around again but I am sure he will. Maybe he may even realize you were only doing it for his own good. Treats and lots of them should get you and Lucky back on track. And maybe you can hand feed him his salads for a bit. I think that really helped with Oliver and Ophelia. They are not snuggle buns but now I can touch them (even Ophelia) with out them hopping away immediately.
Good Luck!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Lucky is back to his normal self....stalking us for his treats. Since we stopped his drops, he is not scratching his ears so much. On Wednesday we go to see if the redness and wax build up is gone.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathydip
They are not snuggle buns but now I can touch them (even Ophelia) with out them hopping away immediately.
Good Luck!
Don't worry Kathy - one good thing about going through the "terrible two's" of baby buns is that they'll be really easy to turn into snuggle buns. I've really noticed the difference in Rocko - having him as a baby has turned him into (what it seems he's going to be) the most outgoing of all my buns. He's even beginning to rival Charlie in the "guest greeting" category.

As young as you had those little guys, they'll definitely have you written all over them and be undeniably sweet.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 05:53 PM

I hope Lucky's itchy ears calm down. I had a cocker that had bad ears and it was awful for him. I feel so bad when they scratch at their ears and you just know it's driving them batty.

Jewels - thanks for the encoragement. They are so funny. They now have free roam of their room. I find them on the couch, on the bump out of their cage, under the couch. They definitely love the freedom they have. And they still LOVE their cage. They always nap on the top shelf. They are interested in me. I hope you are right that they become sweet and outgoing. I would love to use them to educate my family on how great having a house bunny can be. I am still amazed everyday how easy they are and how amazing they are. Bunnies do not get the credit they deserve. They are as easy as a cat. Oh except the nibbling.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Lucky got a brazilian!! Just kidding...the vet showed me how to shave his tangle off. Since their skin is so delicate, pulling it off would have been very painful. When shaving you have to shave against you fingers so their skin does not get tugged or ripped. His ears have cleared nicely...no more digging
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 11:25 PM

Warm water helps and that's the way I use to remove poos.

Tags
cardboard box, cardboard boxes, grass hay, pet store