Thats not a potty! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

Unhappy

our rabbit has been using his food dish for a potty again, he did this when we first got him, on the 22nd. Then i put a pice of carrot in there and he started eating the food out of there for awhile, now for the past week or so hes been back to peeing in it. im beginning to think he just doesnt like the pellets. were feeding him this food called L'avian Plus Premium Rabbit food, which has pellets and some dried fruit and seeds and stuff, and ive been giving him about 1/4cup at a time, and he digs all the good stuff out as soon as i put it in there (seriously funny to watch, looks like a pig diggin threw it) then he used to come back and eat the pellets.. but i think hes figured out if he pees on the pellets left in there i will come clean them and he will get a fresh scoop, do you think this is possible? or so you think im overthinking this whole thing? what should i do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 10:12 AM

first of all... i would change his food ASAP! seed and fruit pellet foods are nothing but junk food for rabbits. and they pick out the good stuff (like you noticed)
to get my buns from not pooping in the food bowl i got a small bowl for one... i have to refill it daily (you should anyway) its small enough where they cant park there hind ends in it to potty.
also you could dump the potted on food into his litter box everytime, and feel it up with fresh. surely he will get the idea that way.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

yeah, we were looking for pellet only foods the other day at walmart, they had 2 kinds, one was a 5lbs bag made by Hartz called Original Recipe Pet Rabbit Food and the other was a 10lbs bag called Small world rabbit, not sure who made it. anyone familiar with either food? is one better than the other?

also he doesnt have a litter box yet, i havent been able to find him one. i think we might end up having to order one offline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 08:41 PM

petco and petsmart has litter boxes. its easy to find a cat litter box. thats perfectly fine to use. you can find those at ANY store just about.
if i was you i would get pellets from oxbow. you can get those at alot of petstores or order online. out of those two brands you mention, id say the Hartz brand. also you can get a HUGE bag of cheap, but usually great rabbit food at any farm supply or feed store. even tractor supply company!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

we dont have a petstore here, the closest petsmart is like 2-3 hours away, and all the litter boxes at walmart are like huge, tomorrow were gonna go see if Atwoods has something smaller.
not sure what were gonna use for litter either, they have somekind of cardboard type and aspen, any thoughts on those? someone also suggested using pellets for litter, im not sure if thats a good idea tho, how would you moniter if there eating any if there eating from there box?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 08:26 AM

that cardboard type aspen is a good choice!
i wouldnt do the rabbit pellets as litter.....
also, you can make disposible litter boxes if you have any old boxes you can get rid of! i use those alot when the rabbits are out playing. but get ya a cardboard box and cut it down a bit, then maybe put some shredded newspaper in it! that will work well until you get something better
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 06:34 PM

For a few months when I first had Charlie and Caesar, they used the food bowl as a potty. Litter training and fixing them definitely took care of the problem.
Now though, Charlie has decided to put her poo in the water bowl. How she manages that, I have no clue!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 07:25 PM

maybe you can get her a mini toilet and toilet train her millimi!!!!
lol
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 08:41 PM

!!! I'm sure she would drink out of a toilet instead.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelnstuff
we dont have a petstore here, the closest petsmart is like 2-3 hours away, and all the litter boxes at walmart are like huge, tomorrow were gonna go see if Atwoods has something smaller.
For a litter box, I bought a big square tupperware at Zellers (same type of store as Wal-Mart) in which I drilled small holes and tied to the cage with tie-wraps. I got two big tupperwares for 1$, which is much less expensive than anything I could have found at a pet store and it does the trick.
(My husband was really excited because the tupperwares came with lids, so he said maybe he could marinate the bunny in it... Of course, he was just joking: he's secretely madly in love with my bunny...!)
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 09:34 PM

lol sounds like my man. he swears he doesnt like pets, but i always catch him giving the rabbits treats and baby talking them!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

a rabbit drinking out of a little potty would be too cute and ive decided trying to find a small litter pan around here is a lost cause so i found a small tupperware container i cut the edge down on, i put some shredded paper in it as you mentioned, i think im gonna get some aspen tomorrow, as we were unable to get out today due to bad weather. now just need to tie to the side, to stop my deco-bunny from rearanging everything!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 10:53 AM

lol we have that when oscar is peeved..its a protest honest! when our cats used to drink from his bowl uninvited heed poo and wee in it to teach them a lesson..cept he got thirsty!!

An old low baking pan is just as good..and a plastic seed tray..or cat litter pan..
i use wood pellet cat litter in the box and cover it with a little soft straw or hay and then add some meadow hay or timothy hay grass..they eat n poop so it keeps them there longer!

good luck.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 11:06 AM

check out this for a litter pan!!

http://www.bunnybasics.net/ferplast-...9b38081725b0f3

also usuable as a bed!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 04:09 PM

just a caution before using wood chips for litter!! if the chips have dust it is very very bad for a bunny's respiratory system!! especially bad are cedar and pine. and you should never use regular clay cat litter for the same reason

it would probably be worth the 3 hour drive to the petstore - you can get a corner litterbox - my bun's prefer - that have clips that attach to the cage and special litter that is made from recycled newspaper and stuff that absorbs odor. just call the store before you go to see what supplies they have, they may be able to special order stuff for you and it'll save you any shipping charges from ordering things yourself - the litter i mentioned is Carefresh brand, there are others similar to it as well, but this is the brand i prefer

Tags
cardboard box, cat food, dried fruit, food bowl, litter box, litter boxes, litter pan, litter train, litter training, pet store, rabbit food, rabbit pellets, timothy hay, water bowl, wood stove pellets