Therapy rabbit - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Therapy rabbit

I bring my rabbit Harley to work with me, and keep him in the memory care unit. He has become the pet of the residents there. Every once in a while, I am asked if he is up to date with his rabie shots, or if he has a pet license etc. No doubt, these people are worried about my rabbit making someone sick. Does anyone else keep their rabbit at work? If so, what are you required to do before bringing your rabbit in to work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 09:48 AM
Betta Bomb

Hm, I think it's sweet that you have a therapy bunny I remember when you were mentioning it first. I have no idea about bringing them to work. I would maybe take a copy of his clear health sheet from the vet and maybe keep it with his food tote for easy access if someone wants to see it. As long as nobody is allergic or irritated to the fine hairs during molting then I see no problem.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 10:57 AM
is a little "special"

Yeah, I remember him too!
Rabbits can't get rabies, so you can tell that to the people who ask. IDK about the pet license though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

There are no rabie vaccines for rabbits. In Minneapolis, owners are required to license their rabbits, but to get a license, I think you just pay a fee, but I don't live or work in Minneapolis. I know that the Delta Society certifies therapy pets, but to take the classes to get the certification is more than I can afford. I contacted the woman that gives the classes in our area, and she told me that most nursing homes don't require anything to bring a rabbit in. My rabbit does get annual vet check ups. When I first brought him in to work last year, I was told he needed to be up to date on his shots, which the vet said they don't give. It is now becoming a management issue.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 08:34 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

The therapy animal group here accepts rabbits and only requires that they get a check-up showing that they're in good health.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
companion animals