They are Females!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thumbs up They are Females!!

Okay we finally were able to sex them....and although we thought the brown was male ( Darren's doing ) she is a she. Right before putting them back in their cage last night we had them in our bathroom where we have several lights, so it makes for better lighting and we were able to see better, and well they both have slits, so we have 2 females
So this means that Pez and Spencer definitely won't work for names so now they are Honey (brown one) and Lilly (white one).
I just wanted to share the information with you all
I really hope this is it, I am hoping that 2 weeks down the road we won't discover yet another sexing mistake and have to change names again........hahaha!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 01:58 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I bet Darren felt like a real goose saying 'he's male' and then two weeks later discovering he was wrong!!! They should be old enough now for you to be sure on what they are and the names are great!!!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

lol Carmen yeah Darren just kind of shrugged, haha.....although we just got them last week, so he was only wrong for a week, hehehe!!!
I think they are 6-7 weeks old now....I can't remember if Darren said they were 5 weeks old or 6 weeks old when he brought them home, I am thinking they were 6 weeks because the guy wanted to wait an extra week before letting them go. So i will say they are 7 weeks old
Glad ya like the names

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 02:33 AM
Just Call Me Oblivious!

That's awesome that you got that part figured out

I know how hard it can be to figure it out, especially if you've never had to look for whatever you're looking for before. I remember our first litter... at 3 weeks, we though we knew for certain what they all were... then a few days later half of them "changed" on us, only to "change" back the following week!

Can't wait to see more pics of them

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 10:40 AM
Adolescent Pup

Hmm, keep in mind that sometimes where there is a male that suddenly turns female it may still be a male. There is a genetic defect in rabbits that is not too uncommon called split penis. When rabbits with this defect are young they often look like males before 5 weeks, then females around 5 to 8 weeks, then the owner suddenly discovers they have two "extras" that females should not have when they get mature. LOL.

Miyabita Designs
Affordable, custom, hand-coded websites, plus graphics

Usagi no Tsukiyo
A well of rabbit information

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

velvetrabbit:
Thanks I will try to get more pics when I can......

Miyabita:
Thanks for the advice, but I seriously believe my darling husband wasn't looking where he was supposed to be looking

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 11:14 AM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

ohhh I love the names!

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 12:11 PM
Just Call Me Oblivious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyabita
Hmm, keep in mind that sometimes where there is a male that suddenly turns female it may still be a male. There is a genetic defect in rabbits that is not too uncommon called split penis. When rabbits with this defect are young they often look like males before 5 weeks, then females around 5 to 8 weeks, then the owner suddenly discovers they have two "extras" that females should not have when they get mature. LOL.

I had already thought of that. Except that these ones looked like girls, then became boys, then were girls again, lol

Still, that's good advice.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 02:08 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Those names are awesome! It's good that you finally figured out what gender they were. We have to see more pictures, though!

When Caesar was little, about four months, the vet said he was a girl. So we thought we had more time to get Charlie and Caesar fixed, but about a month and a half later, Caesar started doing "things" to Charlie and we had to separate them, and he got fixed at about five months. So, be careful, things aren't always what they seem. Even our vet was wrong.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Millimi....I know I will continue to check over the next couple of weeks, who knows we could end up with a pez & spencer, or a pez & lilly or a honey & spencer, or still a honey & lilly phewww talk about name combo's!!!

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 01:36 AM
Fluffy Potatokisser

I got lucky...both Lucky and Dutchie were old enough when I got them there was NO mistaking their sexes! (although it did take me a few minutes to figure out what those lumps were! )

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchilla_Girl
(although it did take me a few minutes to figure out what those lumps were! )
Mandie

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 02:45 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 03:04 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Yay Kim! Two girl buns! I love the names too.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thanks Steph....I'm sure we will sex them a few more times just to be sure though

MCBA Member

Submit your info today