Thinking of switching... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Thinking of switching...

I'm thinking of switching from aspen to carefresh or something like that. I think it was because of the hutch being hard to clean. I remember using it in the beginning but didn't care for it that much. With Charlie shedding so much, I think the aspen bedding is getting uncomfortable for her because it clings to her fur sometimes. Should I switch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

No opinions?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 01:30 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

we don't have either of the brands here so I can't help you natalie, sorry!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 05:38 PM

Sorry Natalie, I cant help either.. They done sell those over here..
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 12:13 PM

Natalie, have you thought of possibly switching to something called "Aspen Supreme?" It's a pelleted bedding, so you wouldn't have to worry about that clinging to their fur.

Let me go see if I can find a link somewhere.
http://www.greenpet.com/aspenpet.htm

Otherwise, like you said maybe Carefresh and/or Pet's Preference bedding. I know at work we use pine shavings for the buns and it just sticks to their fur at times, especially if it's a longer furred rabbit.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

That looks interesting. They don't sell that at any of thepet stores here though...I'll see what I use, I still have a huge bag of aspen that I plan on using up first. Thanks Karen!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 12:18 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I use aspen, but I put lots of hay on top so the aspen never touches my rabbits. Hay is pretty cheap if you buy it by the bale. The reason I like aspen is because it makes good mulch around my plants (especially after it has been fertalized!) and I don't have to fill up my garbage can. I use the old hay for around my strawberry plants. I also use hay for bedding, and when it gets old, I replace it with fresh hay and use the old bedding hay for the litter boxes. I also cover the bottom of the litter boxes with newspaper because I think it helps the litter stay dryer longer.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 09:56 PM

If you can train your bun to go in a litterbox in one corner of the cage, you can line the cage with an old towel. Personally, I find this most convenient (and I've tried a lot of things). In the litterbox I use "Yesterday's News" which is another type of pellet bedding which does not cling to the fur. Carefresh is also good, but it clings occasionally. Either way, I think woodshavings are the messiest, so that's why I switched too.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 11:25 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Another product people like to use for their rabbits is "Superior Hardwood Fuel Pellets." Around here it can be found at a store called "Mills Fleet Farm." The pellets resemble "Feline Pine" and the cost is only around $4 for 40 pounds. It is not sold as litter, but can be used as litter. It is a seasonal product and can only be purchased during the winter months, so you might want to give this a try this winter.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 08:07 PM

Carefresh doesnt handle odors too well and also when it gets wet it does not dry out. I used it for a very short period of time and didnt like it. I am currently using All Pet Pine...the odors are controlled and the litterbox stays dry.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 08:58 AM

I agree that pellets are very nice. That is what I used for my bunnies. I litter box trained them.
I hate shavings and will only use them for my guinea pigs.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 01:09 PM

I dont have a need for bedding as my rabbits alllive in hutches outdoors, but I use wood pellets for my horse and I prefer woody pet over all of them, they may claim to be the same, but woody pet does work better.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Well, I think both aspen and carefresh are pretty good. Harry does a lot better with the carefresh, but Charlie doesn't like it.

Tags
box trained, feline pine, guinea pig, litter box, litter box trained, litter boxes, pet store, pet stores, pine shavings