Those darn rabbits! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Those darn rabbits!

For the first two minutes, everything went great. Harry and Charlie sniffed each other head to head and then tail to head. Everything was going extremely well and I was getting optimistic. Harry circled Charlie a few times and Charlie didn't mind. Then, they both went under the shelter and they were circling each other and Charlie bit Harry and chaos ensued. They started circling like crazy and fur was fly everywhere so I sprayed them with water. It didn't help. I had to throw a towel over them to get them to stop.
Why did it go wrong? I really want them to get along but I can't handle them fighting! I am extremely nervous right now, I am shaking. Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 06:47 PM

Just be a bit more patient amd try again another time.. Let them just spend time togther but with the barrier up!
Good luck and keep us informed..
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 06:51 PM

Wow. That must have been scary for all of you.

Yes, keep the barrier up for a lot longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

We have moved the cages together now, not just their pens. I thought two and a half weeks of being next to each other was enough. Steph, when do you suggest I let them out together again?
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 06:57 PM

Natalie have they been neutered/spayed I cant remember?
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Both are fixed.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 07:11 PM

I cant see why they are not getting on yet! Just keep them close together and maybe let them meet each other once a day supervised.. Or try what I did, and put one in a smaller container while the other one is outside it and then swap around, so they can smell each others scents.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

One of my books said rubbing garlic or onions on their bums to get the scent off. Should I do this? And should I try again tomorrow?
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millimi
One of my books said rubbing garlic or onions on their bums to get the scent off. Should I do this? And should I try again tomorrow?
Are you making a casserole?? Hehe.. I have never heard of that Natalie..
Do you have a carry box/container for the bunnies? If so try putting them in there one at a time..
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

!!! How would that work?
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 07:20 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millimi
!!! How would that work?
Put one in the carry box, while the other is outside it,so they can still smell/ see each other, and then swap them around.. Thats what I did with Billy..
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 07:41 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

don't forget natalie you are also introducing two older rabbits...it's a lot easier when introducing a baby to an older rabbit. It could take months...have patience girl!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

So many people talk about how it took one session. Oh well, once summer vacation hits I'll have time.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 10:41 PM

Two older boys are going to be much harder to bond than a boy & a girl. It's not impossible though so good luck!

Yesterday I was trying to reintroduce one of our baby boys back in with his two brothers (they're only 12 weeks old!) and a fight broke out (fortunately they are okay but I have the hole in my hand to prove it!). Bunnies can be really vicious so be really careful.

I'm new to this group so don't know all the histories but is the area you are using a neutral space?? If one is a bit more dominant over the area they are being introduced, that could also cause a bit more chaos (says me who was trying to reintroduce the boy back into the other's territory.... duh!).
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 06:07 AM

hello-
i waited two months before i offically put my two buns together. i had both mine fixed a male and female so their wouldnt be any hormones flying! And yes i did put both cages next to eachother and even had each of them sleep in the others cage to get used to eachothers sent. my male bun was calm and friendly but lady bun was kinda moody and didnt want to accept brownie. eventually they did accept eachother, and they love to snuggle with eachother!! THey now sleep in the same cage and enjoy good times.
I am sorry to hear that your buns did fight, just give them some time, if its meant to be its meant to be.
good luck to you!

andrea
ct.

Tags
neutered male, pet owner