timothy and westren cut timothy (oxbow question too) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

timothy and westren cut timothy (oxbow question too)

whats the diffrence!!??
has everyone here pretty much been pleased with thier oxbow hays?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 05:26 PM
Newborn Pup

I've never had it but I know there's a rumor of a bad hay going around

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 10:16 PM
Playful Pup

i just have a local bail of mixed grass hay

*~* JEN *~*

1 Bunny *Ruby*

2 Hamsters *Pesky* & *Hurricane*

21 Fish

2 Frogs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 11:00 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'm sorry... I don't feed Oxbow either ^_^;.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

thanks anyway.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 08:34 AM
Curmudgeon

When you are looking at different hays (or "forage") for consumption by your rabbits, keep in mind that you don't need to be as concerned with the nutritive values as you do with other foods. Rabbits are primarily grazing animals. Native grasses and plants being their normal diet. It's when you start adding in items and amounts they wouldn't normally get in the wild, that's when the nutritive value becomes important.

Alfalfa for example is a legume, not a grass. It is very high in Calcium. Good dried Alfalfa has as much Calcium, pound for pound, as dried milk! Obviously, that's too high to be used as a dietary basis for animals like rabbits, who tend to excrete excess dietary calcium through their urine instead of their feces (like us). It means they are more susceptible to blockages from the excess calcium.

Timothy hay is named that because Timothy Grass is the major component in it. There may be other plants, that have grown up in the field, but Timothy is the main ingredient.

The USDA does not recognize "Western Cut" as any different from any other. I would guess that it is just hay from the somewhere out west, that has a few different indigenous plants mixed in with it. I would suspect it is more of a marketing ploy than any substantial difference. Any good grass hay should work well for rabbits: Orchard grass, Timothy, Brome, etc.

Some of the things you want to look at when examining different types of forage are: Dry Matter (DM), Crude Protein (CP), Acid Detergent Fiber (ADF) and Neutral Detergent Fiber (NDF).

Here is a PDF file on Interpreting Hay Analysis, that explains what these terms mean, and how they affect the quality of the forage.

Here is some nutritional data on various types of forage:Hay Buying Guide

Where you buy your hay shouldn't matter as long as it is relatively fresh and free of contaminants. I have always found it more economical to buy a whole bale from a local farmer. It is a tiny fraction of the cost of storebought, and if kept in a dry dark place (in my garage on a wooden pallet) it keeps for a long time (months).

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 11:19 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks Bob. I have always thought that Timothy from the pet shop was over rated. I too get my hay by the bale from a friend and have been pleased with the quality. Now, can you find any studies on wood for rabbits?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 12:15 PM
Playful Pup

Thanks Bob your awsome such good usefull info! I was buying the "Timothy Hay" from stores at the wopping price of 4 dollers for just a tiny bag. I got wise and bought some local mixed grass hay for guess what only 4 dollers I have it in a unsealed rubbermaid in my house closet lol I went halfers with friend of mine who also has a bunny so it only cost me $2 for half a big bail of nice fresh hay. Ruby loves it and I haven't had any problems.

*~* JEN *~*

1 Bunny *Ruby*

2 Hamsters *Pesky* & *Hurricane*

21 Fish

2 Frogs
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 05:44 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonchild
Now, can you find any studies on wood for rabbits?
Since wood is not necessarily a significant component of a rabbit's diet, ..as long as the wood in question is not toxic, you should be okie dokie.

There are numerous safe/toxic plant databases out there, here is one with a pretty extensive listing:http://www.catfocused.com/cat-health/plant-database.php

I prefer apple and mulberry trees for wood ...for all my animals.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

thanks for all the info!
why i was asking about westren cut timothy, vs timothy is because thats ALL the timothy oxbow even has. i order from them because its the cheapest i can even find. i wonder if its to late for me to get some fresh hay from a farmer etc. i didnt actually think they would sell it unless it was by the bail. id like to have a big ol rubbermaid container full of some cheap farm hay.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 07:51 PM
Curmudgeon

Try places where they board horses. They tend to have the smaller bales, not the huge round ones.

They may have some broken bales they can sell you...

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

thanks

Tags
crude protein, grass hay, pet shop, timothy hay