tips on rabbit bonding - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
The Title Fairy Was Here

tips on rabbit bonding

does anyone have any tips on rabbit bonding as in a few weeks im going to be taken syroo and indie my 2 males to the vets to get neutered as i have planned to introduce them to my females in pairs (syroo with a female in one cage, and indie with a female in another cage) i was thinking of also buying some new cages for them also as the wooden cages my dad has built are a mess now with being chewed etc, i am buying them dog crates and making a shelf in.

im just wanting advice on how i can introduce them together to make sure they bond rather than fight

and does anyone have any experience of bonding 2 does and 1 buck together (if so would spraying the doe's also help)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come see more of my fur babies at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 02:54 PM

Hi there,

The one thing i would advise is to introduce gradually. If it is rushed and forced chances are the bonding is not going to work.

You need to continue to keep the buck away from the doe for up to a month after neutering as sperm can survive for up to a month after the op. and therefore, pregnancy is possible still.

I intrduced Dexter and Lily on neutral terriroy, ie. a room neither was familiar with. The resident bun will not then feel threatened by the 'newcomer'. I kept Lily under a cage on the floor. They interacted through the bars and sniffed each other etc and i did this for so long a day, gradually increasing. When they appeared to be used to each other, ie. the foot thumping and running, had stopped i let Lily out with Dexter. Initally i did this for a very short period of time. Lily was quite nervous and Dexter was excited (he was just a month neutered so still had hormones!) so we supervised theyre encounters. Again, you increase the length of time. Eventually they became used to each other.

For a few months Dexter and Lily slept in sepearte cages. I was worried if there was a fight one, or both, could get seriously injured. They now live in the same house and love each other so much!

I only have the two so cant comment on additonal bunnies.

Let us know how you get on and good luck!!!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 05:39 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I too kept Oliver and Ophelia in cages side by side. I also put one in the big cage in the morning and then would switch them at night. I hope that sentence makes sense. I had to do this until Ophelia was fixed and healed. So it was at least 40 days or more until they shared a cage. I did let them out earlier than I probably should have to see eachother. Ollie was not past his neuter waiting period. I was next to them ever second just in case Ollie got that look in his eye. Oddly enough it was Ophelia that "went for it". There was a few clumps of fur found. Not really much. No huge fights like the first day we brought them home. I was very lucky it went so easily. They are now happily cuddling in their cage. Although this morning there was a little mounting from both of them. Not sure why. Maybe it was the piggies we had stay with us for a couple of days? They seemed a little put off by my giving the pigs attention. Maybe the are still working things out? No fights though.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
The Title Fairy Was Here

thanks this info is quite helpful

Come see more of my fur babies at
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 07:07 AM
Curmudgeon

Don't try superglue. Not the bonding I was hoping for!

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.