Tips for taming my new bunny? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Tips for taming my new bunny?

I just got a new rabbit exactly a week ago. She's very sweet and gentle, however she seems very nervous and jumpy. She's lived as a hutch rabbit for three years and now is living inside so that may be a reason she's scared. I can get her out of the cage but at first she usually makes a dash to her wooden house. The previous owners admitted to not handling the rabbits that much.

She won't come out of the cage on her own, even if I leave the door open for hours. To give her excercise I take her out myself but then getting her back in is a nightmare because she runs away from me.

She isn't motivated by food, toys, or petting. I'm not sure what to do .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 08:22 PM
Fertile Myrtle

I'm no expert but I do know that best thing for getting her back into the cage is to kind of herd her in, not to pick her up.

There are lots of great threads here in the rabbit section, browse through, maybe run a search and I'm sure someone who knows more than I do will respond to this shortly.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christi
I'm no expert but I do know that best thing for getting her back into the cage is to kind of herd her in, not to pick her up.

There are lots of great threads here in the rabbit section, browse through, maybe run a search and I'm sure someone who knows more than I do will respond to this shortly.
I can't really herd her back in the cage because the cage is in my room and that isn't where she excercises (because then she'd hide under the bed or in the closet).

Thanks for the reply, though .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 09:54 PM

What I do to get my buns from the excercise area to their cage is transporting them in a tent. I bought a fleece ferret tent for them, that they love. They only get to play with it in the play area, and we take them in the tent, from one place to the other. They get very excited when they see it, and it has worked great, since neither of my buns like being picked up very much. Hope this helps!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millimi
What I do to get my buns from the excercise area to their cage is transporting them in a tent. I bought a fleece ferret tent for them, that they love. They only get to play with it in the play area, and we take them in the tent, from one place to the other. They get very excited when they see it, and it has worked great, since neither of my buns like being picked up very much. Hope this helps!
Thanks. I'll have to try something like that.

~Stephanie

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 10:25 PM

You can get the tents in the ferret section of most pet stores. Let us know how it goes, Steph!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 11:29 PM

Dutchie doesn't mind being picked up, so his cage sits on top of Lucky's. Lucky HATES to be picked up, but won't come out unless I take him out! I usually use an old towel and that makes him feel more secure. But I still have to close the doors of his cage once he is out or he runs right back in...I guess we made his cage TOO nice!

Tags
pet store, pet stores