Tooth Problems in Rabbits - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Question Tooth Problems in Rabbits

So Ive been talking about Smudges watery eyes for a while. Update: The vet thought he had a URI, so he got some antibiotics. Watery eye went away, but as soon as he was off the meds it came back. So on Monday, they are gonna sedate him to look at his molars.

I was researching some dental issiues with buns molars, and from what Ive read he probably has one of 3 things: a molar spur, over-grown molar roots, or a blocked tear duct.

I dont really think its a molar spur, because hes still eating crunchy foods, and not favoring soft food or drooling or anything. But he is favoring the left side of his mouth when he chews, wich is also the same side as his watery eyes.
So Im guessing its an overgrown molar root, or a blocked tear duct. The treatment for a blocked tear duct is pretty easy and quick... They just have to flush it, so Im REALLY hoping that thats all it is.
But if its an over grown molar root, how would that be treated? Would it be expensice? Im worried about that, because it usually occurs in older bones since their bones are thinner, and well... Smudge is a little older of a bun. Hes really healthy, and from what I can tell his bones are fine, and hes only about 6 so hes not THAT old, but I still worried.

Whats everyone elses opinion on it? I know Ill find out on Monday, but I want to know what to expect. And please keep him in your prayers... Im always nervous about pets going under anethetic. :[

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 08:45 AM
Rodentologist

It is still possible that he has a spur; if it's smaller it may not yet be to the point where he's drooling, but it may still be gouging into his tongue and causing abscesses and problem.

Root elongation is a tough one to deal with. There is no successful cure for it, though we've added some life to rabbits with regular tooth trimmings and pain medication. :\ I know for guinea pigs several people have experimented with using chin slings, which seems to help realign and normalize their root growths, but I don't know of anyone currently producing these for rabbits.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

OK, thanks.
Could any of those teeth problems be deadly? Im just sooooo worried about my lil baby, and I dont want anything to happen because of this. I hope it didnt take to long to diagnose whatever it is...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 01:04 PM
Rodentologist

They themselves aren't deadly, as in, they will not physically kill your rabbit, but they'll cause other problems due to pain and anorexia, especially root elongation problems. Malocclusions are simple and can be fixed, even if they have to be fixed over and over again and rarely cause problems unless they're ignored.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Ok. Are overgrown molar roots very common? Im really worried about those...
I have another question about the blocked tear ducts (sorry for all the questions)- So, when Smudge was at my friends house while I was on vacation, his eye got better, but then it went back to watering again. And when he was on antibiotics, it got better, but when he was off the meds it watered again. Do you think he could have a blocked tear duct, and when his eye stopped watering it un-clogged a little, but when it started watering it got clogged again? That makes sense to me. because if it was blocked with bacteria then the antibiotic might have helped it, but I dont know for sure. Is that possible, or would it still water and stop watering and water again with the other problems too?

Anyway, thanks alot for all your help

Tags
bunny, molar, rabbit, runny eyes