Traveling with rabbits - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Traveling with rabbits

Has anyone ever travelled with their rabbit before?

This summer I'm going to be going to El Paso, Texas to visit realitives and will be gone for nearly a month. I'm currently trying to figure out what to do with the bunnies. My dad will be caring for the pets but he works and doesn't have time to let out the rabbits or clean the cages as much as I'd like. I have had friends offer to care for bunnies but I'm worried about Sakura. She's a rescue bunny who is very nervous around strangers. She also doesn't listen to anyone besides me. Because of this, I would hate to leave her that long and am now considering bringing her with me. I would probably bring a small, foldable excercise pen with me as well as her food, dishes, litterbox, litter, hay, and a couple of toys. She does like to sleep in a cage but I figure she could sleep in the carrier I'll bring her in or use one of the cages already there (they had a pair of rabbits up until recently and have two large cages).

I realize she will probably be stressed out but I think she might be more stressed out at one of my friends' houses especially since the friends who offered to take her have cats and dogs .

I already know about traveling with pets on the plane since I've travelled with puppies before . Oh, and don't worry, she'd be with me in the cabin...not in storage or anything.

I haven't really decided yet especially since this will cost me over $150 to take her x_x;. Plus the cost of the excercise pen and stuff.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 11:45 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I have never traveled with rabbits, but I have heard that it isn't a good idea. Unless your rabbits are used to going places, I think they would be better off with a friend. My rabbits are outside, but when it gets hot, I bring them in the house and they stay in a dog cage in my room, where they get the attention of all four of my cats and our dog. They have gotten used to the house pets. They are happier outside, but survive just fine in the house, although I don't have room to give them out of cage time like they have outside. When I go on vacation, my niece takes care of them. She has a dog that can't be trusted around them, so they stay in a cage in the garage and she walks them on leashes.

If you really want to take your rabbits with you on vacation, it might be a good idea to try taking them with you on short trips to friends homes etc., and on car rides just to see how they do, and get them used to traveling.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonchild
I have never traveled with rabbits, but I have heard that it isn't a good idea. Unless your rabbits are used to going places, I think they would be better off with a friend. My rabbits are outside, but when it gets hot, I bring them in the house and they stay in a dog cage in my room, where they get the attention of all four of my cats and our dog. They have gotten used to the house pets. They are happier outside, but survive just fine in the house, although I don't have room to give them out of cage time like they have outside. When I go on vacation, my niece takes care of them. She has a dog that can't be trusted around them, so they stay in a cage in the garage and she walks them on leashes.

If you really want to take your rabbits with you on vacation, it might be a good idea to try taking them with you on short trips to friends homes etc., and on car rides just to see how they do, and get them used to traveling.
She is used to traveling...forgot to mention that, sorry! We've done educational programs in schools. However, she's never gone on a plane before or anything.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 07:00 PM
Part of the Pack

i don't know about rabbits on a plane i'd ask your vet what he/she thinks first. i know rats are fine during plane rides- but rabbits are weird with stress - so i dunno! i'd definately ask a vet's opinion first. but i bet as long as you keep her with you in the cabin like you said you were gonna - they'll say its okay.

also- i'd think about letting your friend watch her. i think as long as you know she will have a clean cage, food, and water she will be okay in her cage with your friend watching her for a month. i think it would be less stress on her than a plane ride - although i know she would really miss you it is definately a tough call. i can see why you want to take her, especially if she is attachted to you and skittish of strangers. i feel bad leaving my rabbits for a week- i'm always afraid they think i've left them! so i see your concern!

anyway- good luck with whatever you decide to do! i'd be very curious to know how she does on the plane ride - if and when you take her! i'm sure people have successfully taken rabbits on planes before when moving across country and stuff - my rats did fine with it before - so maybe bunnies will be the same?! a plane to el paso is definately safer than a car ride would be- that's for sure!!!

2 crazy little girl bunnies:
Ninnles &
Luna ...and... 2 beautiful and wonderful rattles:

Pixie & Mischief... and... 1 sweet little chinchilla
Neo... and last ~ but not least ~ 7 crazy cats & kittens:
Dorian, Ana, V, Evie, Dantes, Maggie, & Sparrow

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 11:50 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

About 1 1/2 years ago, I needed to bring two kittens to Mn from Ga. The airlines told me that only two animals were allowed in the cabin at one time, and if someone boarded before me with an animals, my kittens would have to travel in cargo. They also told me that my kittens would not be allowed to travel in cargo if the outside temp was above 75 degrees, and it was August. I ended up renting a car and drove the kittens to Mn.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fane81
i don't know about rabbits on a plane i'd ask your vet what he/she thinks first. i know rats are fine during plane rides- but rabbits are weird with stress - so i dunno! i'd definately ask a vet's opinion first. but i bet as long as you keep her with you in the cabin like you said you were gonna - they'll say its okay.

also- i'd think about letting your friend watch her. i think as long as you know she will have a clean cage, food, and water she will be okay in her cage with your friend watching her for a month. i think it would be less stress on her than a plane ride - although i know she would really miss you it is definately a tough call. i can see why you want to take her, especially if she is attachted to you and skittish of strangers. i feel bad leaving my rabbits for a week- i'm always afraid they think i've left them! so i see your concern!

anyway- good luck with whatever you decide to do! i'd be very curious to know how she does on the plane ride - if and when you take her! i'm sure people have successfully taken rabbits on planes before when moving across country and stuff - my rats did fine with it before - so maybe bunnies will be the same?! a plane to el paso is definately safer than a car ride would be- that's for sure!!!
Thanks...I'm still thinking about it. I'm beginning to lean towards leaving her with a friend even though I hate to do that . I just don't know which situation would stress her out more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonchild
About 1 1/2 years ago, I needed to bring two kittens to Mn from Ga. The airlines told me that only two animals were allowed in the cabin at one time, and if someone boarded before me with an animals, my kittens would have to travel in cargo. They also told me that my kittens would not be allowed to travel in cargo if the outside temp was above 75 degrees, and it was August. I ended up renting a car and drove the kittens to Mn.
I already know of that from travelling with dogs. I've never been on a plane where someone else already had animals before and it doesn't seem very common to bring your pets with you. We'd arrive early and everything to make sure .

~Stephanie