treat questions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

treat questions

Ryo had GI stasis a while back. basically due to me feeding waaayyy to many starchy treats (at the time i didnt know much about rabbits) and no greens.

i have not givin her very many treats at all since. and NO starchy sugary treats. and have been giving her plenty of greens.
i am wondering how many treats are too many?
for a while she was getting orchard sweets apple pellets. its just dehydrated apples. the pellets were maybe an inch long. and i was giving her them just one a day about every three days.
i just got her some new treats. orchard sweets apple bits. its dehydrated apples but still contains the moisture and has a somewhat gummy texture. these are VERY small. maybe the size of a thumb tack. i am wondering if its safe to feed them to her daily... and how many a day should i allow?
the only thing it is is dehydrated apples but i know that too many may be bad for her.
her is a pick of her new treat... just so you can see how tiny

okay one more thing.
how about rabbits and nuts? i just go Ryo a toy that has a nut in it that they can work there way to. will it hurt her to eat the nut? i have no idea what kind nut it is.
here is the toy i am talking about. maybe someone has gave it to there buns before. its very popular.

also.. for all the treat questions... Ryo is 5 or 6 months old. and is 4.09 lbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 06:28 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Nuts are generally not good for rabbits, but that toy is wonderful. I have one for Charlie and one for Harry and they both love them. Almonds are okay for rabbits, and the chance that Ryo will get to the center of that toy is very slim. If you don't want to risk anything, just change out the toy with a new one when you see a lot of wear and tear.
I think you should treat Ryo to fresh apple instead of dried apple bits. Vitakraft makes good and high quality treats. I usually only use those and sometimes also feed raisins.
I hope this helps.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 06:33 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I think a couple of those treats you mentioned once in a while should be ok. I'm not sure, I don't really feed many commercial treats.

Nuts aren't good for rabbits, but one almond shouldn't hurt. It'll take her a long time to get to the center anyways (if she ever even reaches the treat).

Raisins and banana chips make good treats =).

And like Natalie said, why don't you feed fresh apple pieces?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

i think she will have it soon. she isnt chewing the wood around it but is pulling out the sticks that hold it together. i feel like a have a VERY smart bunny here. she loves that toy so much i would hate to take it out! maybe i can get the nut out and put it back together. even without that nut she probably would still love it. she probably doesnt even know theres food in it!

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 06:38 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

The nut is fine, it really is. After I got that toy, I researched the safety of nuts. Isn't that the best toy? Charlie is in love with it. She carries it with her everywhere, even to the litter box!
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

Ryo isnt very big on toys. but she rolls and chews on this toy. so she must love it! she has soo many toys, but this is the only one i see her play with.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 06:41 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

It's a must-have for all bunny owners. I've seen it all over the bunny magazines as well.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

me too.. thats sorta why i decided to get it. its soo famos i figured it had to be great!

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 06:50 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Hmm. I'll have to look for that toy next time I'm at the store. I didn't think my rabbits would really like it but now I'm gonna have to try it .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 06:54 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Do it, do it, do it!
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 07:04 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millimi
Do it, do it, do it!
If it's not raining, I promise I'll go tomorrow, lol!

~Stephanie

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 07:05 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

It's supposed to rain tomorrow, or so I've heard. Get an umbrella then.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

i am also running to the petstore tomorrow for some grass mats.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 07:09 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millimi
It's supposed to rain tomorrow, or so I've heard. Get an umbrella then.
lol, it's not really a matter of me disliking the rain...it's more that if the weather's bad my mom probably won't want to drive me .

~Stephanie

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

i personally love the rain.
i want to move to england!

Tags
emergency vet, grass hay, house rabbit, house rabbit society, litter box, rabbit society, vet visit