trimming teeth? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

trimming teeth?

My poor mini lop has an overgrown lower incisor (and it looks like his top incisors are going behind the lower ones too) that's going to have to be clipped, I'm debating whether to attempt it myself or take him to the vet. He's just about six months old and still needs to be neutered so I'm tempted to ask them if both can be taken care of at the same time, but I wanted to ask here if anyone has trimmed their bun's teeth before and how it went.

The vet demonstrations on youtube always seem to use incredibly placid rabbits that don't blink at anything and while Holly will lie on his back in my lap and let me prod him everywhere, he's still nowhere near as calm as the ones in the vids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 07:59 AM
The Title Fairy Was Here

I wouldn't do it yourself the first time, get a vet to show you and do it yourself if needed in future, give him hard things to chew on for now and that should help shorten them

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come see more of my fur babies at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

you shouldn't do it your self. ever.

have the vet take care of them and make sure that you have plenty of things to chew on to take care of it.

Do you have hay available at all times?

[/CENTER]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Rodentologist

Ditto Kendalle. The teeth split VERY easily, they need to be dremmeled down, not clipped. Also, they tend to also have molar problems if their front teeth are overgrown. It's extremely rare for only the incisors to overgrow.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I forgot to mention.... NEVER LOOK UP CARE ON YOUTUBE!!!!

[/CENTER]

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

I agree - You shouldn't do it yourself. Have the vet take a look, you could very possably end up doing more harm than good if you try yourself.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks guys, I will get him a vet appointment soon. I definitely don't want to hurt him. And yes he always has lots of hay, he's munching on some now, I think he has both meadow and alfalfa hay in there right now unless he ate all the alfalfa already.

Tags
rabbits, teeth