Trying to get another bunny - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Smile Trying to get another bunny

Help me find ways to talk my parents into getting a second bunny. Please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 09:30 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Have you ever asked to get a second bunny? They might have a reason, and if so try to work around it, but don't forget to respect their opinion at the same time. Other than that I don't know, sorry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 03:33 PM
is a little "special"

So far Ive been a failure at convincing my mom to get another bun. Ill be listening in on this thread though.....
Haha

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 10:14 PM
Playful Pup

You could always try to reason about the benefits of getting a second rabbit so they'll be a bonded pair. They'll be happier having each others' company, they'll stay more out of trouble since they won't get bored and destructive as easily, and your bunny won't get horribly lonely if you're busy with school work and can't always be spending time with them. Once they've bonded, they can be living in the same cage or pen (as long as it's big enough) and play with the same toys, so that won't be that big an expenditure.

On the other hand, if they're not spayed or neutered yet, you'll want to make sure to get them both fixed - and that'll cost a pretty penny. And the food expenses will go up when there's two of them munching on food.

But you can always go to your local humane shelter and try to arrange a play-date for your bunny to see if they can find someone to bond with. If you're getting them from the shelter, they're probably fixed already (so you don't have to pay the spay/neuter fee at a vet), and you'll be helping take care of an out-of-luck bunny that's waiting for a new home.

Chances are you'll have better luck talking to them about it if you've thought things out - present to them why you think getting a second bunny would be a good idea, and that you've considered the extra effort and costs involved. They'll probably appreciate a more mature approach to the subject than just trying to beg them for another pet.

I'm actually at the very opposite end of the spectrum, since we're trying to find nice homes to rehome a couple of our rabbits, because we'll never have enough time to spend with all of them. Just make sure you're prepared for having two of them to take care of - even if it's not that much more work, it's still more responsibility.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 11:42 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Also you could check craigslist, etc. adn look fro rabbits that need to be rehomed and maybe they will give in My parents are big softies

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

My mom likes the idea but it my dad who might say no.. He hates pets.. but i told him I'll be taking care of them..
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 09:30 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Try asking your parents why you can't have another one. Here are some examples-

If the reason is: Answer:
"They cost too much money" "I've got the money to pay"
Reason: Answer:
"We don't have the space" "I'll keep in my room or buy
a hutch with my money"

"We don't have the time" "I'll take full responsibility
and completely look after
it"
"You're not responsible enough" "Yes i am i'll even help
around the house more
and do chores daily"
"You won't look after it" "Yes i will, I've already got
all the stuff sorted"
"You'll get bored with it" "No i won't or i wouln't be
begging you like this"
"It won't get the excersise it needs" "It will i'll make sure of it, i
even got it a special
lead for it"
"Your too young" "No im not i'll prove im
mature enough and if its
the handling your
worried about i know
how to and ive had
practice"
"Your allergic to them" "No i'm not anymore i'll
even go to a doctors an
if i am i won't go near
them that much, only to
make sure they get what
they need"

Things you can do:
Try being more helpful around the house to demonstrate your level of responsibility. Keep your room clean and help with other areas too. Get a part time, or summer, job so you can help pay some of the bills your pet will have. Save your money for the pet and pet care, rather than spending it on other things.

Good Luck

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 11:10 AM
Playful Pup

Lightbulb Bdayyy

Ask for your birthday. That's what I did, my birthday is September 12 and I'm getting one todayy
Or christmas
Or make a pouty face and say '(BUNNY'S NAME) is lonely!!

Well, good luck
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 04:51 PM
is a little "special"

If all else fails......
Randomly come home with an adorable little bunny, and come up with a heart-wrenching sob story about how you saved its life, and how it will die without you.

Works. Every. Time.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

lol... my bday isnt till feb 18 sooo
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 07:18 AM
Rodentologist

I would definitely NOT just bring home a rabbit -- that's how we get SO MANY of our surrenders. You may want a bunny, but it's not fair to that bunny if your parents force you to give him or her up.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 02:04 PM
is a little "special"

I was just kidding about that! I dont think anyone would really randomly bring home a bun LOL. Mybe you should take your parents to the shelter, and show tham all the adorable bunners there!

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

The only thing is idk where the nearest shelter is.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 11:18 AM
is a little "special"

Look it up online! Or Petco (at least the ones near me do) adopt out buns for the HRS. Go and see if they have anyone up for adoption!

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 01:24 PM
Rodentologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
I was just kidding about that! I dont think anyone would really randomly bring home a bun LOL. Mybe you should take your parents to the shelter, and show tham all the adorable bunners there!
Seriously, it happens every week.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry