Tummy gurgles - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Tummy gurgles

Is it normal for a buns tummy to gurgle loudly? Should I be worried about it?

My girls are up in my room with me now so they're near me all the time and I keep hearing fudge's tummy gurgling. I don't know if this is just something that happens normally and I just haven't noticed it before or whether it's a new thing I should be concerned about.

Jo x

Mummy to:

Ash - Miniture Yorkshire Terrier
Cookie - Bunny
Fudge - Bunny
Missie - Hamster

R.I.P

Rocky - Staffordshire Bull Terrier (my dad's)
Joey - Budgie
Petre - Budgie
Harry - Hamster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 10:01 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

It probably means that you bunny has gas Try to gently massage your bunny's stomach for a few minutes or as long as it lets you. Here is a web site about it. http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 03:24 PM
is a little "special"

Is she still eating and going to the bathroom OK?
You should not be able to hear a buns tummy gurgling. I guess it could just be nasty gas, but it can also be a sign of something worse in their GI tract. If it keeps happening, I would acually take her to the vet.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Their stomachs are suppose to make some sounds. How close are you to Fudge when you are hearing the sounds? Is she still eating and going to the bathroom okay?

No stomach sounds at all is actually a very bad thing, it means that the GI tract isn't moving which is an emergency in bunnies. I think if the noises are louder than normal it could mean that her intestines are irritated or she has gas, but no sounds at all is bad too. It's a good idea to make yourself familiar with your rabbits normal tummy noises so you can better detect when something is off.

If you think it might be gas, you can try some gentle tummy rubs to try and help it pass, and call and ask your vet about using Simethicone (baby gas meds). When one of my rabbits use to suffer from gas, he would look like he didn't feel good. He would sit scrunched up and press his stomach against the floor, and just seem pretty uncomfortable in general. Simethicone and tummy rubs usually worked wonders for him, but if it doesn't help you should deffinatly take Fudge into the vet. Tummy issues in rabbits arn't something to mess around with.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Last edited by Dragonrain; 08-27-2009 at 04:24 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 07:18 PM
is a little "special"

Really? I read somewhere that tummy gurgles werent a good thing, but it could be wrong. Ive never heard a gurgle from Smudge

Well, I sure hope Fudge is OK!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks for the replies everyone Fudge is otherwise ok, still eating and pooping normally but I have noticed now that these noises only seem to happen while she's drinking water. I'm wondering if she's drinking too fast (they have bottles) but it really doesn't seem to bother her. It can be quite loud sometimes, when it first happened I actually thought it was my own tummy gurgling lol.

Jo x

Mummy to:

Ash - Miniture Yorkshire Terrier
Cookie - Bunny
Fudge - Bunny
Missie - Hamster

R.I.P

Rocky - Staffordshire Bull Terrier (my dad's)
Joey - Budgie
Petre - Budgie
Harry - Hamster
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Part of the Pack

Stanley gurgles lol. Right after drinking water too. I think its just a shift of gas and liquid.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Ophelia makes odd noises when she eats sweet fruits that she likes. I am not sure why but she has always done it. I wonder if it's the same thing....

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 01:09 AM
Betta Bomb

Acacia doesnt make audible sounds that I evwr heard but Akina may have a gas issue

Tags
gurgling, tummy