Turbo's getting neutered? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Turbo's mommy.

Question Turbo's getting neutered?

well, a while back i realized that a neutered bunny is a healthier bunny, i have to wait two more months until he's 6 months old.

I found a bunny savvy vet, do you approve of him?

here was my q and his a:

Q:What's the cost to neuter my male bunny?
A:200 without the chemistry panel 350 with (i plan on getting the chemistry panel if not i'll make an appointment at another time, reguardless he's getting it)

Q:Will Turbo have to stay over night?
A:It depends on what time the surgery takes place, however i like to keep an eye on the rabbit comming out of surgery. I want to make sure that his stitches are fine. If, however, i should keep him...you will have no boarding fee.

Q:What is the reccomended age for a rabbit to be neutered?
A:Around 6 months is the earliest that i take them.

Q:Would he need vacines?
A:There aren't really vacines that are made specifically for rabbits, however if he needs something and its urgent i will give it to him with your concent.

Q:What is a chemistry panel?
A:Its a test of the organs to make sure that he's healthy and all of his organs are working as they should. This should be tested every 2-3 years.

a few notes i picked up: the boarding is in a climate controlled area where the rabbits are given the proper diet they need. The secretary gave me some pointers on how to make toys for him out of toilet paper rolls and soy based news paper. she told me how to tell the good kind of food for a dwarf bunny and the good kind of food for normal sized bunnies.

he sounds like he know's whats up ... but you guys have bunnies that have been in this situation ... does he sound good?
he's an exotic animal surgeon and an avian hospital worker...
he's within an hours worth of driving...

is it worth it or should i keep looking.

Turbo Bunny

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 05:59 PM
is a little "special"

So far they look OK, but I would ask a few more questions-
How often do buns die during surgery? (Should be less than one percent I *think*)
Should you fast Turbo? (no)
What type of gas to they use? (preferably isoflourine)
When they do the surgery, do they go in from the inside or outside? (outside is less tramatic)
Will you get pain meds/anitbiotics? (yes, metacam and baytril are pretty common ones)
Those are a few I remember from the HRS website off the top of my head. Its good that you are making sure you have an experienced bunny vet!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Turbo's mommy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
So far they look OK, but I would ask a few more questions-
How often do buns die during surgery? (Should be less than one percent I *think*)
Should you fast Turbo? (no)
What type of gas to they use? (preferably isoflourine)
When they do the surgery, do they go in from the inside or outside? (outside is less tramatic)
Will you get pain meds/anitbiotics? (yes, metacam and baytril are pretty common ones)
Those are a few I remember from the HRS website off the top of my head. Its good that you are making sure you have an experienced bunny vet!
i know in the begining i was very stupid and made a wrong decision by not saving money for this. so now i'm in a frenzy to make 350-400 within the next two months. I love Turbo and honestly, its only the BEST for my bun...
i'll get my mom to call them tomorrow and ask the questions.
She took her parakeet to this vet when he was sick and he was AWESOME with him. Granted, Paco died, but the doctor did all he could and sent us home with antibiotics for Paco. Paco did die naturally of old age.
I did research on the local vets and they said that their exotic surgeon was good, but this guy is better and they feel more comfortable reccomending him than theirs for a dwarf breed. thanks so much jess

Turbo Bunny

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 10:52 AM
is a little "special"

No problem! Yeah, if other vets are reccomending them over their own surgeons, thats a good sign. And Im sure youll ccome up with the money- I managed to come up with the money to get Smudge fixed, and I bet you will too. Maybe your parents will even pitch in a little And its better to be safe than sorry about doing blood panals and stuff, even if its more expensive than the nueter itself. Turbo is lucky to have such a good bunny mom!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Turbo's mommy.

yeah, i have the money, my mom and bunny dad have offered to help with their paychecks. haha he did the cutest thing today, he was hopping around and i put some lettuce in his cage and honestly, i haven't seen him run so fast he loooves those greens!

Turbo Bunny

Tags
nervous owner, neuter male rabbit