Two rabbits is good, right???? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Two rabbits is good, right????

Okay, so I know we just got Wicket, but I felt bad for him all alone in that HUGE cage. (Even though he rarely gets put down. LOL!) So I thought he should have friend. And I thought it would be better to do it now while they were both babies so they could bond to each other. So today I got a 6 week old, Broken Opal Mini Lop. He's so adorable. I don't get to pick him up until Sunday. He's a baby from a rabbit at a petting zoo. So he and his brothers and sisters are at a county fair all week.

I raised and bred and showed rabbits when I was young. But never had two rabbits like this, that were going to "live" together. They're both really young, so do you think they're just going to naturally bond? What should I do to help them get along?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 12:40 PM

You will need them both neutered for them to live with one another, if you haven't allready.
Some rabbits take to a new companion easily, others not so well and it can take time.
Check out the House Rabbits site and read up on bonding and trick and tips to do it.
Just remember to be patient and well that some rabbits just won't get along.
Good luck with your bonding.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Thanks! I'm hoping that since they're both REALLY young that I won't have too much of a problem. I plan to have them both neutered, but my vet won't do it until they're at least 4 months old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Aww two buns is great - most rabbits really enjoy the company. I wish now that I had gotten 2 together when I got my Zeus.

Definatly get them both neughtered as soon as you can.

Here's some sites with tips that you might find useful ...
Bonding Tips and Tricks
FAQ: Bonding Multiple Rabbits
Bonding When the Going Gets Rough

There are lots of other good sites out there but that should get you started. Remember that you may not be able to put them in the same cage right away, bonding can take time! It should be helpful that both your buns will be young.

Good luck! If you have any more Q's feel free to ask - and don't forget pics of the new bun once you get him, and of the 2 cuties together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 08:51 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I kept Oliver and Ophelia in cages next to eachother until they were fixed. They were both older and well Oliver is a boy and Ophelia is a girl so we couldn't take any chances.
Anyway, each day I would switch the cage they were in. In the morning Ophelia would go into the big cage and at night Oliver would have the big cage.
Once they were allowed together the bonding took one day.
Having said that I have not been as lucky trying to get Penelope and Ophelia to be friends. I have not even tried Oliver yet. It may be because I didn't house them the same way. Oliver and Ophelia have the run of the middle bedroom and have since they bonded. Penelope is in the back room.
I think you should be fine if you keep them caged close to each other get them fixed as soon as you can so they are still rather young when you begin real long lasting bonding.
Ask your vet but I would think they could play together - as long as they are the same sex and not fighting before the operation. I just don't think I would leave them unattended together - just in case. And never put them together before fixing if they are opposite sexes.
I cannot wait to see pics of the new bun. I want a lop in the WORST way. But I have enough bunnies!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 09:05 PM
can't think of one, help

Not sure if I would wait until 4mths old, they can be sexually mature much younger than that. I'd get it done asap. I got lucky I caught them just in time, otherwise I would have had lots of babies.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

Well she has 2 males, I'm pretty sure she said, so no mateing there!

The best age to neuter rabbits is just before, or shortly after sexual maturity. Depending on the breed, this could range from four to six months in small/meduim sized breeds and up to nine months in the large breeds.

Neutering younger then four months is not recommened because the reproductive organs are smaller and it can make the surgery more difficult, and therefore more dangerous.

Also, male rabbits shouldn't be fixed until their testicals desend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Dragonrain; 07-31-2007 at 11:07 PM. Reason: I can't spell!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 01:40 AM

Hee Hee, I lived on a farm when I was young and my Mom and Dad got me two bunnies for Easter! Guess how many I ended up with?! Forty!!!! Yep, 40... And my Mom and Dad were great about it too. Dad built me cages and Mom and I just loved them all. Don't you just love those cute little bunny noses? And those cute little bunny kisses? I am so a bunny fan!!! I miss having a bunny. I just visit them now at pet stores.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Yep, I have two males, so I don't have to worry about babies.

40 rabbits?? WOW!!! I love babies too. I used to raise, breed, and show French Lops and Flemish Giants. And the baby part was so fun!

I'm glad we got to rescue this new one. I felt so bad for him. They are in all wire cages and kinda dirty. I wish I could take them all!!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 11:03 AM
is a little "special"

Sorry to invade your thread but as long as we where talking about bunny buddies, I thought Id just ask: Smudge seems to be a little lonely... when ever he plays with the guinea pigs, all he does is ask to be groomed by hopping up to them and nudging them and lowering his head. Since piggies dont understand bunny language all they do is stare at him like "What the Hec?!". When the piggies dont groom him he starts grooming them and Im starting to feel bad for him... I would like to get him a friend but he isnt fixed and Im not sure how he would react. He is very gental and I was thinking if got Oreo fixed they might get along, but Oreo is over 6 so its a bit risky. Would Smudge even accept a friend? This is probably a stupid question but I would just like to know...

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Well you can never be SURE wether or not a rabbit will accept having a friend - but most do - some just take more time then others to bond. Rabbits are naturally social animals so they don't really like spending a long time alone - and if you can't be with them constantly then they'd probably really enjoy a bunny friend.

The way Smudge acts towards the piggies would lead me to believe that he probably would like a bunny buddy. He's probably react to another bunny about the same way he acts towards the pics, I would assume. Usually with rabbits they're is at least some fighting at first, but not always. Some of them really love being with other bunnies and bond right away. If Smudge is nice to other animals and you, that's probably how he'll react to another bunny. The problem would be finding another bunny that likes him too. How is Oreo's temperment? Of course the introduction would be easier if they were both fixed, and it would be more dangerous to get Oreo fixed since he's older. Another option, if your willing to get another bunny, would be to get a young female, then get the female and Smudge fixed and bond them - male/female pairs are usually the easiest to bond. Or you could get Smudge and Oreo fixed and see how those two get alone, if you feel comfortable getting Oreo fixed. As long as you find a good vet, he should be ok, but there are risks.

Have you ever tried letting Oreo and Smudge see each other through the cage bars? It might be interesting seeing how they react to each other first before you do anything else.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 03:06 PM
is a little "special"

Smudge and Oreos cages are side-by-side, so they can see each other all day long. Oreo belongs to my sister, so I have no control over if he is fixed, but both of them are older and Im terrified to get Smudge fixed. And even if I got Smudge fixed, the vet check-ups, blood-work, the acual nuetering, and all that stuff would probably cost about $500 (my fav vet is expensive) and Im only 13, so I dont have that type of money right now. Sorry if it sounds like Im just making excuses, but believe me, I would LOVE to get him fixed! As for Oreos temperment, he is nice, but alot more dominant and agressive than Smudge. We have let them see each other out of the cage, and they dont fight or try to kill each other or anyhting. Oreo just mounts the hec out of Smudge. Is that a good or bad sign? I think Oreos just showing Smudge whos boss, but my sister freaks out and seperates them so I dont know what would happen beyond that. My mom wont let me get anymore buns so thats out of the picture. Should I let Smudge and Oreo play with each other a bit longer and see what happens?

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah - fixing buns is never cheap, unfortuantly.

At least you have males, so you don't have to worry about them getting cancer as much as you would if you had a female.

Because they're not fixed, they could be a bit aggressive towards each other. Mounting is a display of dominance for bunnies - that's why he's mounting even though he probable knows that Smudge is another male - he's showing that he's the dominant bun. That would probably go away if he was fixed, but since that's not really an option maybe you could just let them play together while they're being watched?

The mounting sometimes goes away after awhile, once Oreo show's everyone that he's boss he might stop, or at least do it less. But if you seperate them every time he does it then he probably won't stop. Just let him get it out of his system and don't seperate them unless it gets violent.

If they do start to fight or anything, someone's there to seperate them. I wouldn't put them in the same cage just in case a fight breaks out - but maybe find somewhere nuteral to both of them and let them hang out once in awhile.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 05:43 PM
is a little "special"

Good news! Today I went to the humane society and asked where they got thier buns fixed and they gave my a list of vets. They said some of them will fix him for $75!!!! That cuts down the cost alot. But Im still terrified something would go wrong during the surgery... Is 4 too old to get him fixed?

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

They say the best age to get them fixed is under 2, but 4 isn't that old when you consider how long some rabbits can live.

I think as long as you find a good, experienced vet that he should be fine.

I know some of the rabbits that come into shelters are much older then 4 and they still fix them, and most of them do fine.

Plus, I'm sure the vet will check him over first to make sure he's healthy enough to be fixed.

So he should be fine - the most important thing is to find they best vet you can afford.

FAQ: Spaying and Neutering

Tags
cage bars, flemish giant, flemish giants, guinea pig, house rabbit, house rabbits, humane society, mini lop, pet store, pet stores, social animals, wire cage, wire cages