Update on Sammo...... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Update on Sammo......

OK so i was feeling really ad looing a poor Sammo with his major tilty head and after letting the buns out in the garden and watching him actually binkying around the garden i figured it cant be a stroke he had coz he is more than mobile apart from the fact his balance is shot and he kept falling over whilst going crazy on the grass and hopping about with Bbop!

So i decided i am gonna go back to the vet and demand they give him a second look over and also told them i want treatment for a possible inner ear infection and possibly internal parasites so that is what i have now got! I am hoping its the inner ear infection rather than the parasites coz if it's parasites he will almost certainly die soon if they get to his liver etc

So i have started him on the meds and although he is absolutely hating it and hating me he still took it like a man and lapped it all up!Here's hoping it works!!

So i have a question just out of curiosity........what would cause internal parasites? His cage and play area is disinfected regularly and his litter tray is cleaned everyday and all fruit and salad he gets is washed before i feed him it etc so is it something i have done if it is parasites!!?

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 04:24 PM
Rodentologist

Depends entirely on the parasite. Many can be picked up outside from grass after wild animals have left droppings or urinated there.

I would strongly push for screening for e. cuniculi, it's NOT uncommon among rabbits, and has the capability to cause all the symptoms you're describing for your bunny.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 07:03 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Parasites can also come in on hay, animals with parasites often feed on the feilds your hay is being grown, hay is not washed, baked, or anything after you feed it straight to your little guy. I suggest screening once or twice a year for parasites

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

Any updates? How's he doing?

If it where me I would get some more tests done and see if you can pinpoint more what the cause is instead of just treating for possibilities. If it is an ear infection, your vet could attempt to do a culture to see which antibiodic would be best. The vet can also do a test for E. cunicul, a protozoan parasite that can cause head tilt.

There are also drugs the vet could prescribe to help with dizzyness and pain (if needed), but I don't know what they are off hand.

Last edited by Dragonrain; 04-01-2009 at 05:15 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Dinky Gerbilelbow

He seems a lot brighter,he is hopping around the garden with his buddy Bbop as i type! He is currently on Panacur incase its a parasite and he is on baytril for an ear infection........he has to go back next week to have a check and the vet will be doing bloods if needed and possibly giving ear drops........

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 11:59 AM
can't think of one, help

sounds much better, great

Vicki

Rainbow, Abbles, Carmy, Kissy, Peaches, Cream, (kitties) and Littlebunny boy (elder bunny)

the pic is the last one of my meecee kitty (5/9/89 - 1/9/08)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

I'm glad to hear that he seems to be doing well!

If it where me, I would discuss stronger antibiodics with your vet if he does have an ear infection. Not trying to tell you what to do, but from my experience Baytril really isn't that effective in treating a lot of rabbit infections anymore. A lot of bacteria now have built up a resistance to it because it's been so widly used with rabbits.

Keep us updated on how he's doing and good luck at the vets next week!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 01:31 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Antibiotic can kill off good bacteria in the gut, so some good supportive care might be in order. Check with your pet store and see if they have probiotics that you can mix with food or water. I buy one on the internet called "Acid 4-pack". I am also testing "Perma-guard" to control parasites. It is food grade and can be found on a number of sites at different prices. It is a product that is also used to control pests found in foods meant for human consumption. It also can be used to control mites, tick, fleas, bed bugs, earwigs, ants, and many other pests. It is nontoxic and chemical free. Good luck with your bun.