Urgant! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Urgant!

Help me
I volunteer at my local shelter and offered a long time ago to foster bunnys if they need it. Well they have a bun who is due to have babies any day now and I am to go get her in an hour. I have no clue on babies so i need any info you have on the matter please help. bedding etc i have no idea

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
*~* JEN *~*
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1 Bunny *Ruby*

2 Hamsters *Pesky* & *Hurricane*

21 Fish

2 Frogs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 05:26 PM
PT's Official Law Breaker

We put a nestbox in their cage 28 days after they are bred with hay in it. They usually pull it all out and bend it to fit the way they want it to. They will grab mouthfulls of hay and rub it up against the side of the cage. Then they will pull fur, before or after the babies are born. (Varies from rabbit to rabbit) They usually have babies on day 32.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 06:49 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Great advice, Catherine.

Another site for more great advice is (www.rabbitweb.net)

Breeders often respond on that chat board and you should be able to find out about anything you want to know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

well i got the bun here and guess what 4 babies 1 died in birth this bunny is amazing a dwarf x with a lion or something like that babies alread i have a sheet over the cage till she gets used to the place and i am trying to keep it quiet arroud here wish us luck and pray for the babies
ty for the link

*~* JEN *~*

1 Bunny *Ruby*

21 Fish

2 Frogs
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

can i check on the babies? there is sooo much fur that i cant see them and i noticed some blood in there what should i do can have take a peek?

*~* JEN *~*

1 Bunny *Ruby*

21 Fish

2 Frogs
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 07:51 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Good luck with the babies, I hope they are all ok? Try to avoid too much contact with them, if you need to check them try not to touch them too much, maybe wear a pair of gloves or something, so that you dont put too much of your scent on them.. The mummy may get scared and they can sometimes eat their young if they are worried about the safety of them..

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 11:00 AM
PT's Official Law Breaker

My rabbits who are used to me, will let me handle the babies soon after they are born. with no problems. If the rabbit seems calm, pet her, so you have her smell on you and then you can check the bunnies. You can give her a carrot or something as a treat to distract her whilst you look. The mother usually cleans them a little bit and then they roll around in the fur until they rest of the gunk is gone and they are dry and warm. So you shouldn't have to clean them too much. Check that thier bellies look full today and that their bottoms are clean.

Most mothers only feed them once a day and don't take any notice of them apart from that. In the wild they wouldn't want to attract predators, by going in and out of the nest a lot.

I tried to get on here last night to see how it was going, but kept getting the server busy message.

Hope everything is ok.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

momma and babes are fine i got too se her nursing them early this morning good mum bun
ill keep ya posted

*~* JEN *~*

1 Bunny *Ruby*

21 Fish

2 Frogs
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I gave the bunnies back to the shelter they found a new foster mum for them right away I miss them but with all thats been going on with Ruby and now I will be starting work i just had too much going on and count provide good care for mum as I am too busy with Ruby Just a update

*~* JEN *~*

1 Bunny *Ruby*

21 Fish

2 Frogs

Tags
local shelter