vaccinations? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Smile vaccinations?

Do rabbits need vaccinations? If so, what type. I've read Angora's don't need them but I'm not sure. I also have a lionhead and 2 shorthair that I don't know what kind they are. Any help would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

It depends on where you live. In the United States they don't require any vaccinations.

In some other countries they can be vaccinated against Myxomatosis and Viral Haemorrhagic Disease. I know both those vaccinations are commonly given to rabbits in the UK.

If you live in a different country other than the US or UK, your rabbit vet should be able to tell you if they require any vaccinations.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks, you've been a great help! Since I live in the US, I won't worry about that anymore. Now, I have another question. Can a rabbit pass any disease to a human through a bite? My lionhead was after his food in my hand before I could put it down in his cage last night and he jumped up and bit me really hard. After he bit, it made me wonder...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 02:07 PM
is a little "special"

Not that I know of. Rabbits don't get rabies (Thus the lack of vaccination requirements) so you'll be fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks for the input! I feel better already!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 08:49 PM
Betta Bomb

I'm in Canada and it's not required here for vaccines.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Adolescent Pup

I had to get them for my bunny in australia i wonder why hardly anywhere else requires it! much cheaper without the vaccines :p

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 10:22 PM
Rodentologist

Vaccines aren't required in the US because we don't have myxi and VHD present in our population of wild rabbits. In Australia and the UK wild rabbits have been exposed to and carry these deadly diseases.

If you got a pet because it's cheap you picked the wrong hobby!

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 10:24 PM
Adolescent Pup

Nope just saying it is cheaper without them, just a fact. I will spend whatever i need to on any pet i have, always have and always will my pets come first!