Tarzan Mama of Two

veggers

any updates on the rabbit bonding????

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2004, 11:13 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

LOL Carmen. I haven't put them back together since the day that I put them in the bathroom. They started fighting right away so I kind of gave up. Now Sonora is having a toenail issue. She lost one awhile back and its been growing back. I just trimmed her nails tonight and I checked it and it seemed to be growing in fine. Then the weirdest thing happened--it started bleeding. She was running around and I guess she tore it again. Its pretty ironic that it happened right after I checked it and it looked like it was so much better. At first I thought that I had cut one of her nails too short, but I checked and the blood was coming from the short nail that I didn't trim.

So I'm really hoping that she's ok and she doesn't have to go to the vet. I'll be keeping a close eye on it and I won't be putting her and Rusty back together until it heals. I don't know if they will ever get along. They just don't seem to like each other (yet they lay by each others pens ). It was much easier to bond Sonora and Mo because it was clear that he was the big boss and she was submissive to him. This time she's not so neither of them backs down!

Rusty is a little darling by himself though and we just love him. He is soooo affectionate and he loves human interaction. Thanks for asking how they are doing Carmen!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
Old 09-23-2004, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Steph ok! sorry I haven't been around much lately but I have been thinknig of you!!! when you do try and re-bond do it from opposite ends of the room and just let them watch each other...slowly take them closer and as soon as one of them gets a bit annoyed seperate them!
If worse comes to worse you could let one of the cats loose on them!! My girls are best buddies if they feel threatened!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2004, 11:34 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSbunny
If worse comes to worse you could let one of the cats loose on them!! My girls are best buddies if they feel threatened!!!!
The ties that bind!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

oh yeah they used to be terrified of Biscuit (they now try to play with her, I break it up cause Biscuit pounces around them and I fear one day she will mis-judge and will land on them) and they would protect each other....as soon as she was out of sight and sound shadow would start chasing molly again!

Old 09-23-2004, 11:51 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Steph ok! sorry I haven't been around much lately but I have been thinknig of you!!!
Don't feel bad about that! I was touched that you asked how they were doing!

Oh and they get along with my cats. Bunnies always seem to do great with indoor kitties. None of mine have ever been afraid of them, and I've heard thats how it usually is. They even play together. My cats seem to know that the bunnies could kick their butts if they wanted to! Dogs are a whole different story I'm sure.

Old 09-23-2004, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Well Steph my orignal dog cindy (who I have my parental rights to) loved nothing more than to cuddle up with the bunnies..mum has photos somewhere, or maybe I do (I'll look) of Cindy and the rabbit cuddling together! Nacho (my first dog out of home that didn't make it to his 2nd birthday) originally thought that rabbits were toys but after a tragedy one day (Henry dug out of his run and Nacho was waiting for him on the other side...Nacho absolutely loved soft toys and when I went out and asked where Henry was he bought him to me so very proud of himself, covered in slober and no longer with us...there were no teeth marks, just lots of dog slober) I made it my mission to get him to be kinder to the rabbits and in the end he used to let them jump all over him and he used to allow shadow to bite his ankles!!!
Biscuit still gets excited by them but she jumps around them.....she is getting better and better and will now sit and whine when they are out playing cause she wants to play so bad but knows she can't!!! Cindy was never a problem and we left her unsupervised with the rabbits all the time! I wouldn't do it with any other dog but her but she is left unsupervised with shadow and molly......she is completely trust worthy!

Old 09-24-2004, 12:17 AM
Fluffy Potatokisser

I want to eventually introduce the buns to the dogs...one at a time of course Orion is afraid of them unless they are caged...Kali thinks she's a retriever and thinks she needs to bring them back to me...not a good idea! If only we could teach her to herd them instead :scratchchin:

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
Old 09-24-2004, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

I just held them by their collars and continued to do ten minute sessions until the dogs realised that they had as much right in the house as they did and to leave them alone!

Old 09-24-2004, 11:24 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Do you think that keeping them in the same room together is a bad thing? Every time I let Rusty out and he goes by Sonora's pen, she gives him the look of death (ears flattened, evil eyes! ) and tries to attack him through the bars. She sure doesn't like him! Mo used to do that to Sonora when she would go by his pen, and now she's the one doing it. Its not hard to keep them apart though so if I can't get them together it will be fine. Rusty peed on the carpet by her pen last night though.

Old 09-25-2004, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Tough question......I don't know if it is necessarily a bad thing but if you had somewhere else you could put Rusty and then introdcue them on neutral ground without the build up of hate through the cage it might help.....I think that bonding has so much to do with the individual rabbits so I guess it's just up to your judgement really!

Old 09-25-2004, 10:42 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
without the build up of hate through the cage
That sounds so funny but its so true! You should see the look on Sonora's face when he comes near her pen. Sweet looking little bunnies can be so vicious! My sweet little baby girl who Mo used to abuse is now the abuser! But the weird thing is that when she is out, she goes and lays by his pen. Crazy buns!

Old 09-26-2004, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Steph you should see the show that Molly and Shadow put on!!! When Shadow is out she runs straight under Molly's cage, poos everywhere while Molly is frantically thumping! Then Molly gets out and frantically poos and re-chins everything under her cage and then runs and poos all under Shadow's cage while shadow looks at me with the evil eye as if to say 'look what she's doing to my cage mum. You let her out, you fix it!' Shadow is the attacker of the two normally!!!!

Old 09-26-2004, 09:11 AM
Adolescent Pup

For a quick fix on a torn nail, there is a product called QuikStop that stops the bleeding. Do a search for it online. Or you can use a bit of baking flour (not as effective, but still helps) to clot the blood and help slow the bleeding. If nothing else, it slows it enough to get to the vet. At best, it can stop the bleeding entirely. A great thing to keep around in case of an emergency.

Miyabita Designs
Affordable, custom, hand-coded websites, plus graphics

Usagi no Tsukiyo
A well of rabbit information

Old 09-26-2004, 12:43 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyabita
For a quick fix on a torn nail, there is a product called QuikStop that stops the bleeding. Do a search for it online. Or you can use a bit of baking flour (not as effective, but still helps) to clot the blood and help slow the bleeding. If nothing else, it slows it enough to get to the vet. At best, it can stop the bleeding entirely. A great thing to keep around in case of an emergency.
I've seen that at Petsmart. The thing is though, Sonora's entire nail was ripped out when she was digging in the carpet so there wasn't a quick left. She's doing better now though. She was on antibiotics and the nail is slowly growing back.

Carmen, I know what you mean! Rusty and Sonora chin everything now! Luckily they haven't been pooping by each other pens, but Rusty peed by Sonora the other night. He's only done it once though. The main thing that they do is box through the bars, so I have to make sure that there is a "protective" pen around their pens so they can't get their paws through. If they can't box through the bars, they lay by each other. They are crazy. Sonora is definitely the main attacker here. She is on the offense while poor Rusty is just defending himself. He's a little over defensive, but I would be too if I had pieces missing out of my ears from mean rabbits in the past.