Vet bills - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Unhappy Vet bills

I took my two rabbits today for a check-up. The total cost was $245.96 for both rabbits! The exam was $66.50 for the first rabbit, and $40.50 for the second rabbit (multi-rabbit discount). Biohazard Waste Mgmt was $4.48 each rabbit, and Complete Blood Count was $64.95 for each rabbit. I was thinking of adopting another pair of rabbits, but this made me change my mind. I was just wondering what it cost other people for their rabbit check-ups? I think part of the problem is that I live in the big city. If I drove 50 miles, I'm sure my vet bills would be a lot less!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 10:19 PM

Wow, that is a bit.
What was the blood counts for?

I pay about $55 a viset for one, then $25 for the other, I usually bring in more then one pet at a time if I can.
Re-checks if I have an issue with the animal not getting better, my vet dosn't charge me. I wonder if they do that for everyone, or he just knows with all the animals I have he'll see me alot anyways LOL
Also what is a Biohazard Waste Mgmt? I've never even heard of such thing.

Sometimes it may be a bit more $$ but if you have found a rabbit savvey vet you like, those extra dollars are well worth it.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 10:24 PM

are there other vets you can see that seemed kinda spendy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 10:31 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

The biohazard management charge is for the blood draw materials (syringe, needle, blood tube) because it's costly to dispose of those. Vets will often offset the cost by charging a small fee.

An ill exotic pet at my clinic is $90.25. A wellness check runs about $70, with second pets being $45. Our vet is a board certified avian/exotic vet though, so her fees are higher.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

The blood count is to make sure there is no diseases overlooked. The Biohazard bill is for disposal of needles they used for the vet check. Vets have to pay a high price to get rid of any "biohazards." I have tried other vets, but often they just have one vet in the clinic that sees rabbits, and when my Chewy was having problem, I wasn't able to get him in to see the vet. The other problem is that my rabbits live outside, so they need to be treated like outdoor pets, with perscription meds to guard against flees and heartworm etc. I had a vet before that gave me no meds, just a lot of information on joining the HRS, which the Techs were members of. I can't keep my rabbits inside, period. So I talked to a woman that does wild life rescue to get the name of her vet, and that is who I take my rabbits to.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 10:39 PM

i cant afford you jade
wholy cow
lol
I like my vet
he's been around for like 30 years
and he has an office cat..... cat that he lets live at the vets office
way cute....
the cat comes in and out of the vet all day
he owns the place... at least he thinks he does
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade
The biohazard management charge is for the blood draw materials (syringe, needle, blood tube) because it's costly to dispose of those. Vets will often offset the cost by charging a small fee.

An ill exotic pet at my clinic is $90.25. A wellness check runs about $70, with second pets being $45. Our vet is a board certified avian/exotic vet though, so her fees are higher.
Does your vet recomend a blood test? The vet told me that when my rabbits get to be 5 years old (next year) she wants them to have blood tests twice a year.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 10:40 PM

this cat has been around for 11 years so far
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 11:05 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonchild
Does your vet recomend a blood test? The vet told me that when my rabbits get to be 5 years old (next year) she wants them to have blood tests twice a year.
I'll have to ask what her routine bloodwork recommendation is for rabbits.

Stephanie

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 07:51 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I paid $52.00 for Penelope's first visit. For Oliver and Ophelia it was only $50.00 each. Apparently their prices increased for 2007. I didn't get a second pet discount when I brought Oliver and Ophelia. The spay and neuters were a lot. But I completely trust them so it is worth it. When they went in to get fixed I really was not that worried. I used to freak out before but I have a lot of confidence in them.
I thought it was odd they had blood drawn. My guys had it done before their operations but that was for anesthesia. I can also understand that after a certain age it's a good idea. I guess if they are outside they can be exposed to a lot more.
I have to say that good vet care can be expensive but it is also worth it.
Belle is getting blood work done tomorrow. Jay thinks she could have diabetes. I think she has hypothyroidism. It will be $150.00 to get the blood work run but at least we will know. I hope that the vet tells me that it's my fault she is the chunky monkey that she is.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 02:36 AM

My vet charges about $50 for an exam plus any medications, etc. and $120 - $175 for a spay or neuter depending on if you choose to give them IV fluids or not. I haven't had any blood tests done on them but I imagine it would be $50 or more. Her prices are pretty average for my area (BC, Canada) and she is very rabbit savy so I don't mind. I try to put some money aside each month in a
"pet fund" so that helps when it comes time to pay the bills.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 05:47 AM
Rodentologist

Those prices sound pretty in line with what we see around here. There are cheaper vets, but those are also the vets that have killed exotics that have been taken there due to ignorance.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 06:47 AM

A visit at my vet is $90 and an emergency visit is $120. That doesnt include medications and other tests they may do. I think you got a great deal!

By the way- I heard of this site:
Veterinary Pet Insurance - Insurance for Dogs, Cats, Puppies, Kittens, Avians, Exotics

I havent signed up yet but they offer health insurance for your rabbit. That may help reduce the cost for you!

Someone on this site recommended it to me. Can that person chime in here and tell us more about it and what exactly they cover? I forget who it was that told me about it!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetara03

I havent signed up yet but they offer health insurance for your rabbit. That may help reduce the cost for you!

Someone on this site recommended it to me. Can that person chime in here and tell us more about it and what exactly they cover? I forget who it was that told me about it!
That would be great if someone could explain health insurance to us.

I will probably stick with the vet I have. I'm sure I could have refused the blood work, but then if something were wrong and I had gone against what the vet recomended, I would feel guilty. I just won't get any new rabbits because taking care great care of the ones I already have has to come first, and more rabbits is more vet bills than I can afford.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I just got another bill in the mail. The clinic forgot to charge me $28.45 for the fecal test (just one test since they live together) at the time of their exam.

Tags
exotic pets, exotic vet, respiratory infection, vet care