Vet visits - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Vet visits

My rabbits get a check up at the vet once a year. My vet told me that once they turn five years old she will want to see them twice a year. I was wondering how often most rabbits visit the vet for routine visits?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 05:34 AM
Curmudgeon

I think sometimes the answer to this depends on the owner.

If it makes you feel better seeing the vet on a regular basis, that can be a valid reason to go.

However, if you are a good, intelligent, observant owner; one who feeds properly and observes the animal properly (activity level, temperature, eating habits, bowel habits, etc), ...there is no reason to go to a vet to have him/her tell something you already know . You have a healthy rabbit.

If you let little things slip, if you don't see or interact with your rabbit much everyday, ...or if you get a lot of new rabbits in, or don't know alot about rabbits, ....then it's a good idea to have a regular vet visit scheduled. JMO

bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 09:08 AM

My buns see the vet every 4 or 5 months to get their claws clipped (I'm too scared to do it myself). I take them one at a time so they get individual attention and my vet gives them a short physical in the process. My buns are very healthy and all hyperly playful - so if that changed even the slightest I'd know I have a problem.

I agree with Bob, unless you start noticing a difference in behavioral or eating habits, a once or twice a year visit to the vet should be enough for a healthy bun.

Your vet is just wanting to look out for your buns, especially for when they get older. Buns start aging more drastically after 5 years and more of senior buns' ailments can be caught from blood tests more quickly than outward behavior. I would take her advice - plus it will give you the added comfort of knowing that your aging bun is as healthy on the inside as on the outside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks for the information. My rabbits are outdoor pets and so I think their needs are a little different. I use a perscription flee preventative on them so they need to see the vet for that. Last time I took them to the vet, Tasha had some spurs on her teeth, but they were not causing any problems so the vet left them. My rabbits have unlimited amounts of hay and sticks to chew on, so I imagine any rabbit can get spurs. Sometimes I work long hours and don't get to spend the time I would like to with my animals, so it is good to know where potential problems might be.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 04:34 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygala
I think sometimes the answer to this depends on the owner.

If it makes you feel better seeing the vet on a regular basis, that can be a valid reason to go.

However, if you are a good, intelligent, observant owner; one who feeds properly and observes the animal properly (activity level, temperature, eating habits, bowel habits, etc), ...there is no reason to go to a vet to have him/her tell something you already know . You have a healthy rabbit.

If you let little things slip, if you don't see or interact with your rabbit much everyday, ...or if you get a lot of new rabbits in, or don't know alot about rabbits, ....then it's a good idea to have a regular vet visit scheduled. JMO

bob
I completely agree. I admit that I don't really take my bunnies in for many check-ups and sometimes I feel bad but I just don't see the point. I always know when something is wrong and our emergency vet is good with rabbits so that isn't an issue.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I know that breeders give their own rabbits physicals. I got some advice from them to give my rabbits Ivermectin shots for flea preventitive, but I have been too chicken to do it myself. Next summer I plan to take some classes on animal medicine and then maybe I reevaluate my situation. My vet bills are pretty high and I even do nail trims myself.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 07:15 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I was always at the vets with Tabby but that was because she was so sick. The thing I would worry about is that their teeth are giving them problems. I hope that I would notice them eating and pooing less. Since I keep both of them together if I see a decrease I would probably have to bring them both in. I was hoping since they are both fixed now not to have to see their vet until next October. That will be 1 year from their first check up. I still call them if I have questions. It will be strange not to see them for all that time. I have been in their offices at least once a month - usually more- for so many months.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I was thinking of adopting more rabbits, but can't afford the vet bills. I was interested in the type of rabbits that usually get euthanized, the unsocial cruelty surrenders. I so enjoy watching my rabbits just being rabbits outside and would be willing to take in the kind that don't make good pets, but the vet expense was an issue. I am changing my mind about getting more rabbits though because if I were to go into the hospital or something, there would be no one to care for the rabbits. I think I had better stick with just two rabbits.

Tags
emergency vet, regular vet, vet visit